Anyone used Ashford Chroming?

Colin Lindsay

Colin.

They appear to have a mixed recommendation especially with Mazak items, with their "work" costing more than a new item in some cases.

This may be of interest via one of their customers: In the process of sending a part back to Ashford Chroming as it still covered in pit marks and a dent. (£325) (waited 6 months)

The company, earlier in 2017, approached our classic car club and wanted to advertise. The offer included members sending items to them for work to be done with an estimate given on receipt of the parts. Needless to say not happy with that, so declined their application.

Regards.

Richard.

I havnt used them myself, but i have heard good feedback for Silvabronz in Alton, Hampshire:

http://www.beckworth.net/

Not cheap, but with something like this cheap is not usually what you need!

...... Andy 

P.S. just realised that that you didn’t want other recommendations - apologies for speed-reading and ignoring that part! 

I was just interested as I got a quote for GT6 bumpers, very very expensive, they then bombarded me with e-mails asking why I hadn't got in touch, was there a problem etc etc; I queried the price and amazingly got "Christmas" discount of almost a third which made it more to my liking. It's their e-mails that are the problem - sometimes up to nine a day (NINE!!) - is there a problem, didn't I like the order, have I run away, that sort of thing... all coming from 'Louise" who is apparrently the CEO but who makes the entire thing sound like a dodgy dating agency.

Once I agreed the order they hit me with e-mails so full of legal jargon it almost scared me away again... including an 'acceptance' which appears to have been signed by me, like some kind of legal document. Strange.... but it's almost as if they're saying "Ha ha we've got you now and you can't wriggle out of it..."

I'll see how the goods end up - that will be the acid test.

I'm surprised you have gone with them Colin, I think most people would still be running for the hills and further !!

Be interesting to see their workmanship. 

Do they offer any sort of guarantees for issues later arising ??

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Colin,

I have used Ashford Chroming n two occasions.  I didn't find them pushy - I wasn't bombarded with emails.  I have no price comparison but I expect they were a bit on the expensive side.  They were quite slow, which happened not to be a problem as the items were not on any particular critical-path (they weren't in fact car-related things).   The job they did, which was nickel-plating, appeared quite satisfactory.

Let us know what you decide to do and how you get on.

Tom

Thanks Tom - I'll keep you all informed but the parts - GT6 Mk1 rear bumpers and overriders, fuel cap and a small aerial bezel have all left me via Royal Mail so no going back! Three or four years in a damp garage caused a lot of small blisters and eruptions that won't polish out; there's no damage or dents so it should be a straightforward job. 

I just had a quick check - I had an e-mail from them on 28th August following an enquiry a long time ago and as a result I requested a quote on 12th December. The first e-mail arrived on 13th December, I removed a few items on receipt of their quote and managed to get the price down somewhat but then had 15 e-mails from them in very quick succession. Seven of these were on December 28th alone with up to three per day in between (and thankfully a break over Christmas!) and some were sent only minutes apart - six between 12.49 and 12.59 on one day. 

I'm happy with their advertising and the reports received from customers, but they were starting to scare me off with the sheer volume of messages.

Of course it's the end product that counts!

• 1 month later...

The GT6 parts have arrived back.... there's a dent in one of the overriders (if it was there before it was chromed surely it should have been taken out?), the petrol cap has a scratch and the aeriel bezel speaks for itself. You can see the dimples, imperfections and swirls under the chrome in the petrol filler cap. I can't really be bothered sending the stuff back as I'm trying to get the car on the road but I'm a bit let down.

DSCF5317.jpg.38a2df70a445ead9e2b49ecb004ad9c3.jpg DSCF5319.jpg.880940241c7c501b236588e3e18d5c38.jpg

That's a shame Colin, you'd think with all their previous communication they'd have asked for direction. I thought you were getting a new aerial and bezal?  I got a new one for my GT.

Saw this earlier

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrome-Antenna-Bezel-Top-Nut-fittings-Classic-British-Car-Ford-MG-Jaguar-Triumph/172132331338?hash=item2813e2ef4a:g:fQ8AAOSwMmBVtdvc

Doug.

5 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

That's a shame Colin, you'd think with all their previous communication they'd have asked for direction. I thought you were getting a new aerial and bezal?  I got a new one for my GT.

Saw this earlier

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrome-Antenna-Bezel-Top-Nut-fittings-Classic-British-Car-Ford-MG-Jaguar-Triumph/172132331338?hash=item2813e2ef4a:g:fQ8AAOSwMmBVtdvc

Doug.

That one is an angled one; mine is perfectly flat for a flat surface ie the rear wing top. I couldn't find a similar one so got them to throw this one in as well. What they threw it in, I'm not sure...

Hi Colin,

Yes, it does look a bit disappointing, particularly the aerial bezel.

When they (Ashford Chroming) got something a bit wrong with my order, I did send the items back and they re-did them for me.  In my case, they chromed some things that were meant to have been nickel-plated.  If you have the time, and I appreciate not everyone does, then I would say that it would be worth getting them to put it right.

Let us know what you do.

Tom

Hello Tom.

For the likes of you and I, regarding our geographical location, that would be very doable but with Colin across the water it becomes an even bigger headache.

Colin - are there zero chroming companies both North & South ??

Regards.

Richard.

There may be, Richard, but I never looked... :(

Ashford Chroming e-mailed me just at exactly the right time, so I thought I'd give them a try. They haven't made contact with me yet, I was expecting a survey-type email from them as they bombarded me with e-mails before and during the process. 21 in fact! I suppose I should let them know but it's the old typical British attitude of complaining, but not complaining... ie we'll complain ABOUT things, but not TO people...

• 2 weeks later...

I’m late to this thread but wanted to say that if anyone is looking for a proper old-school service then I can thoroughly recommend Capital Chrome on the Old Kent Road. They’ve done a number of items for me, including the dreaded mazac Herald 1200 headlamp surrounds. Mine were REALLY badly pitted and they worked miracles on them, better than new I would guess. They took a week longer to do than they estimated but they phoned to say they weren’t happy with one of them and they’d like to re-do it. I like that kind of quality control. 

Glenn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1