Breather pipe 143706

AidanT

I have tracked down that this part on my car has developed a hole so I've taken it off to replace it and found the part number (in the title)

However, for some reason my original pipe has what I can only describe as a wire coil or spring through the whole of it. Looking at pictures of the replacements they don't seem to have this.  Is it important? Do I need to find an item replacement?

Thx 

Aidan

20180106_141217.jpg

20180106_141223.jpg

Aidan.

If you slice the pipe for its entire length it should be easy to remove, may need to cut both sides full length - a sharp scalpel type / Stanley knife should do the trick.

Regards.

Richard.

Re silicone hoses, I think they need to be flouro lined? Certainly to be resistant to fuel vapour (I haven't seen a silicone hose suitable for actual petrol to flow through, only breather or mist) but oil vapour is equally aggressive. Certainly rubber fuel hose, even r9 stuff, doesn't last at all. 

(The club ones are lined, but don't be tempted by normal silicone hoses)

New Pipe arrived today -  totally different to the one that was fitted and looks like it has bends in all the right places :lol: and will fit perfectly.  Who knows where the PO got the one that was fitted from :wacko:

Aidan

Aidan.

Looking at your original pipe I cannot see (from the photo) any internal stitching which gives a rubber hose some wall strength and helps to prevent it kinking / collapsing too readily.

It is very possible that a PO may have placed that wire in to the hose to achieve the same effect or to assist with shaping the hose; which probably gives some indication as to how old the hose is !!

Good to hear you have sorted it. Did you keep the original spring ??

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard,

Yes the original did have stitching cord in it, but to my mind was probably twice the length of the new one so coiled around  before reaching the inlet manifold. This may have been the reason for the PO to add it, myself I would have shortened the pipe to.

Yes I was able to remove the spring :D - Might come in handy at some point!

I will add a picture of the old and new one 

Aidan