OVERDRIVE - Deactivating prior to removal

Hello.

Later this month g/box & o/drive coming out of the Vitesse.

With regard to the overdrive, is it necessary to deactivate / depressurise the unit via ignition on and then engaging in & out a dozen times or so to achieve this situation prior to draining the oil ??

Having looked through various WSM's for the car I cannot see it mentioned - unless I have missed it.

However, some overdrives on other classics require the procedure to be undertaken, for example on my Alpine.

I will be grateful for any information.

Many thanks.

Richard.

Never saw this before, Richard, anytime I've ever done it the unit came out along with the gearbox, the oil was drained and replaced and everything worked as before on refitting. This was solely an oil change with a bit of cleaning and seal replacement thrown in; the unit was not dismantled nor was the solenoid disturbed.

Thanks Colin.

The g/box and o/drive are coming out as one unit, but before doing so the oil needs to be drained - as you have highlighted.

My uncertainty was about depressurising the overdrive prior to draining the oil, but from what you are saying this does not appear to be necessary and has obviously not been an issue for you in the past.

Could it be down to different types of overdrive requiring the pressure reduction procedure ??

Regards.

Richard. 

Richard, the D  type on the Vit has no pressure to dump , its simply undo the stud nuts and pull it off

Why are you removing it ??

J types solenoid on passenger side does have the ability to pump with a grease gun oil into the oil chest to open the clutch

Theres a plug or even a nipple next to the base filter cover

Refitting a D type ignore all the ideas of aligning the internals  just get a pair of decent lever/screwdrivers and when lowering 

Unit onto the mainshaft pry the two piston plates to open the clutch , and a quick wiggle and it drops on easy

Just  get the cam at its lowest point from the piston roller to easy fitting

J type the pump and cam self align.

I have just removed and refitted the J type on the 2000, 

Just drained the box , theres always some residual and refit with simplicity 

Pete

Hello Pete.

It's the g/box that has the issue(s) - the o/drive is only coming out of the car as a combined unit with the g/box.

From what you are saying and I can see the difference now, D type no pressure but J type (Alpine) does and I think it is the make up of the o/drive that determines the depressurising requirement. Would you agree ??

Have noted you other points.

Much appreciated.

Richard.

Theres nowt in the triumph J type manual about depressurising anything,  only that you can pressure the unit externally to open the clutch

Having done many D types and my J type none is ever needed

I would expect this problem if a unit had some sort of pressure accumalator.  None or triumph or rootes

We fitted laycock units to our PB vans , the laycock engineer who had to Approve the installation was concerned about the van having 

The narrow track hawk suspension, a high speed run through our roundabouts in Boscome rd turned him a shade of green

Happy days 

Pete

Thanks Pete.

I'm glad I asked and that has certainly cleared up any doubts.

If I find the pressure reduction procedure, I will let you know via a PM.

Thank you all for the assistance.

Regards.

Richard.