historic vehicle tax

gordon

Gordon, I'm in the same boat, except mine was registered in August 1977.

From what I can gather so far, they (DVLA) will update the forms in April to move the historic date to 1977 from 1976 which is currently the case. You then can get the tax back from the date the car became exempt, which would be 1 Jan this year for mine - yours may have been built in 1976 - but no guarantee unless you get the Heritage certificate as proof one way or another. DVLA will assume your case was built in the previous year upto about the 6th Jan of the following year - which yours isn't.

From the HMRC web site

Historic vehicles

Vehicles made before 1 January 1977 are exempt from 1 April 2017.

The exemption only applies from the 1st April each year. You have fallen I believe into the three month gap 

Aidan

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have just purchased a Heritage Certificate...I intend to keep the car so I thought this will be nice to keep with the car so at least I have some reliable information on her....good investment document to keep with the car I think.

Mines a Mark IV 1973 which I want to re-commission.

Nautam

On 13/01/2018 at 10:15 AM, gordon said:

i have been to the p.office today to try and register my vehicl.

It was registered on 15 feb 1977

how do i find the build date ?

i will be gratefull if someone could help give me some guidance

thanks gordon

Gordon I got a heritage certificate and mine was registered in August 1977 but built in the April, so there must be a good chance yours was built in 1976 

On 1/13/2018 at 10:57 AM, Qu1ckn1ck said:

Not sure if there is a cheaper way than paying for a "Heritage" certificate - but I am sure some one else will know.

https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/archive/heritage-certificates

Thanks for that link, due to that and a little vod I'm now £43-odd worse off. You got me at a relaxed / weak moment.... 

• Sad 1

My GT was registered in April 1973. For a long time I paid road tax and others didn't because the rolling exemption was frozen. Then I discovered the registration directly behind mine, registered on the same day was tax exempt because it was manufactured the previous November. I paid for a Heritage Certificate and discovered my car was manufactured in February, still no exemption and 40 quid lighter. :angry: Seems my car was a more popular colour and sold quicker.

db

• 2 months later...
On 13/01/2018 at 11:20 AM, Anglefire said:

Gordon, I'm in the same boat, except mine was registered in August 1977.

From what I can gather so far, they (DVLA) will update the forms in April to move the historic date to 1977 from 1976 which is currently the case. You then can get the tax back from the date the car became exempt, which would be 1 Jan this year for mine - yours may have been built in 1976 - but no guarantee unless you get the Heritage certificate as proof one way or another. DVLA will assume your case was built in the previous year upto about the 6th Jan of the following year - which yours isn't.

I was wrong in so far as getting the tax back from the date of exemption - I got my tax back yesterday but only from the end of April in effect. This seems wrong to me - its exempt from Jan 1st (ish) but you can't declare it as such until the April and can't claim it back to the Jan?