Unrecognised component found

Kevin.payne.15

Guys

thanks  lot for helping me sort the wiring. I’ve started stripping out today with the method that a brake one connection and replace it with the new one. Was doing quite well until I came across this component located on the off side near the fuel inlet

looks like mr bodge has been here before me ! 

Component markings are Lucas England. Top II RA on the little round boss. 

As you can see the wiring is a complete mess with everything going into connectors bypassing the unit so can only presume it’s not working.  Is it a night dimmer ? 

does anyone know :

A what is it if not a night dimmer

B how do I test if it’s working

C where do I get a replacement if it’s not?

D how do I wire up

the new wiring loom at this point has 2 reds wired together, 2 green purp wired together, 2 blacks wired together, 2 green whites separate, 2 green reds separate and lastly a green purple = 11 wires in total going into  9 connectors with 9 spades on the unit

thanks

kevin

A0FA4549-C2EA-42BD-92D1-649218231FE1.jpeg

9AC703D5-CE24-4CE3-9759-3D0B7BB05857.jpeg

24E42DF3-5444-435F-8368-925183CA20AF.jpeg

EE4136B0-9266-4D11-8520-5D180ADF6D94.jpeg

Hello Kevin.

The green purple should be stop lamps to stop lamp switch - what is the current wiring situation coming from the STOP LAMP SWITCH ??

I think the 2x reds can be joined together as the dimming unit acted as a junction box performing a specific task of which the red would have required splitting to form a circuit to incorporate the dimming relay circuit.

This is me just thinking aloud at the moment.

Does the above suggestion appear feasible ??

Regards.

Richard.

These relays just dimmed the stop and rear flashers  wjen the side lights were turned on

Just get some double ended lucar blades and join all the same family of colours together 

Red to red and greens to greens , just match the colours  and join them 

Dump the black  and  bin the unit

It was a good idea in  its day but now going to be some trouble 

Dim dip headlamps had the same short existance 

Petel

A what is it if not a night dimmer
It is - and it's pointless in modern traffic.

B how do I test if it’s working
These almost never fail (in a bad way) - you just need to check for continuity between pairs of in and out pins.

C where do I get a replacement if it’s not?
If it's actually failed so you don't have any continuity then delete it, linking like wires directly to one-another.

D how do I wire up
Would have to look to say (and I'm currently 400 miles from my car) but once you have pull the black earth lead.  Looks original but as no earth switching on the side lights can't complete the circuit so can't energies the coil and can't dim the lights (which were hardly like looking at the sun when new, let alone 40yrs down the line when all the silver has come off the reflectors.

21 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

It was a good idea in  its day but now going to be some trouble 

Dim dip headlamps had the same short existance

I know of Dim-dip - and if it had been used by everyone properly it would have been a great idea - but of course that never happened so it was a failure!

As for dimming rear lights, that is a new one on me and not come across it or heard about it before - so as they say, everyday is a school day :)

i love triumph manuals  they delight in making no comments or script about the one little part you need help with 

and the idea that refitting is the reverse of not telling you in the first place 

much of  my   orig triumph  reprint  WSM does not cover the changes in MK2 2000  and keeps rambling about MK1

with an odd supplement  hidden or thrown in for good measure , never covers the particular area of concern .

Im sure they like to keep a few jobs up their sleeve 

Pete