I hate my tablet thingy ...but relief at last

Pete Lewis

in the main i use a laptop ,its in a small office space in the conservatory, can be a bit cold in the evenings unless i spend my pensionalble  gov. heating allowance so in the  quite of the evening I slump in the sofa and poke hatred at my samsung tablet, which resists typing anything you want and makes spaces into letters so loads of typo's and much revisiting , the morcambe and wise scripts, all the right letters but not in the right order

the solution was to purchase a new cover with a blue tooth querty mini keyboard. came from amazon,   tablet2cases.com

well the improvement is instant  , the best £20 ive spent for ages 

does make it a thicker pack but , yikes ......peace and calm it does what it says on the tin   brilliant

the everlasting poking, prodding, stilus ramming , has been recycled to the dark side 

see you can make a dinosaur happy

Pete

See if you have any remedy for my iPod then and make two dinosaurs happy!

I go to use it, it's dead. Charge the battery via USB, it starts up iTunes on my Mac. Then it decides it's the main device in my house and stops permission for all my other devices, including my Apple Mac desktop computer, which then have to get permission from the iPod to access iTunes. Last night I was apparrently trying to log in from Hemel Hempstead instead of my study. I go to play music, it tells me that it can't access the Apple Store or the iTunes store or whatever and so won't play anything. I have to allow it to access wifi whereupon it greys out almost all of my music and tells me I either don't have permission to play this music or else I have to redownload it again. By this time I have the grass cut or the work done and so don't need it. 

I have two older iPods which don't have wifi access so play whatever is on them straightaway, but if I plug them in to the Apple to add new music the newer device blocks them as I apparrently have the music on too many devices and therefore may be pirating it, even though its usually from a CD I bought years ago. How can a device tell ME what I'm allowed to play - shouldn't it be the other way round?

I just wish I could make my record player portable then it could sit on the lawnmower with me and play things straightaway.

4 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

in the main i use a laptop ,its in a small office space in the conservatory, can be a bit cold in the evenings unless i spend my pensionalble  gov. heating allowance so in the  quite of the evening I slump in the sofa and poke hatred at my samsung tablet, which resists typing anything you want and makes spaces into letters so loads of typo's and much revisiting , the morcambe and wise scripts, all the right letters but not in the right order

the solution was to purchase a new cover with a blue tooth querty mini keyboard. came from amazon,   tablet2cases.com

well the improvement is instant  , the best £20 ive spent for ages 

does make it a thicker pack but , yikes ......peace and calm it does what it says on the tin   brilliant

the everlasting poking, prodding, stilus ramming , has been recycled to the dark side 

see you can make a dinosaur happy

Pete

Hello Pete

Which one is it ?

We have a Samsung SM-T560 (About 2 years old but works fine! That,s the kiss of death?)

Is something like this ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-Keyboard-For-Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-E-9-6-SM-T560-T561-Flip-Case-Stand-/391353266984

we had a Toshiba with this set up (but it died!)

Roger

ps I hate poking with a stick thing

Interesting to see an apple user breaking ranks, I thought the mantra was apple products are wonderful all else is rubbish.

Run widows 10 on pc and android on phone and tablet, tablet worked by a finger.

Used to work in IT then i turned into a dinosaur when I retired a few years back.

Regards

Paul

You are all spoilt! :rolleyes:

When I started work computers filled whole rooms and worked on punched cards. Then there was the revolution when they became small enough to fit on a desk and got faster by using audio cassettes instead of cards. After that there was the floppy disk, ah those were the days, when a tablet was something you took to get rid of a headache whereas now they seen to cause them :o

Dinosaurs still rule, well in this house they do.

yes thats the type of kit,  it does make the folded pack a bit thick(like the operator)

but as my samsung tab2 10.1 never typed what you poked as if the keys were all misplaced , space bar only gives m and n s 

you were always back tracking trying to makewell some sense 

this little keyboard is a doddle and theres no delay .and the key pad will detach from the cae to use anywhere.

theres loads of capacity to use but at time the thing tkes forever to load a new page or onward tab.

pete

57 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

Interesting to see an apple user breaking ranks, I thought the mantra was apple products are wonderful all else is rubbish.

They are, but as recent news items have shown, they're getting too complicated and in some cases the sheer volume of updates and other strange software is slowing down or ruining older devices. I just hate this idea that some geek somewhere has decided he wants to keep all of his documents on "The Cloud" so we should all do likewise. This cannot be turned off and the system preference is for remote storage rather than on the local device. Great if you have fast broadband and a nightmare if you don't, especially if you need something in a hurry and have to wait for the device to make contact with 'The Cloud' then download the items. I don't have internet access in the garage and repeatedly have to bring devices home so they can 'update' huge files before they'll play music - the later iPods will do nothing if there's no wifi for them to log into first and even if you try to disable wifi they must run on a timer and periodically just refuse to do anything until they've logged in.

imagine filling your car with petrol, then a day later going out to drive it and finding it empty, and having to wait while you refill the petrol that you've already purchased from some remote petrol station just because someone else thinks it's a handy idea to store it for you? You just don't have a choice - you use the software, you have to sign up to it.

My Windows 10 PC, which was built by me and is regularly updated re newer components, has so many programmes trying to access the internet that they're like a crowd jostling for access. My security software regularly interrupts other programmes to tell me that this or that is trying to access the internet, and in many cases it's "why?" Why do 'my photos' want to connect to the internet? I'm getting seriously frustrated with these modern things. Even my television contacts the Net so many times per day! Try unplugging your broadband router and then watch how many devices complain that they can't access the internet.

If I hadn't ruined so many good CDs by using them in the garage and getting them scratched or damaged I'd still just have a CD player and speakers.

3 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

dinosaurus  memories .............you remember changing needles in the sound box  after playing 10 records   

before the time of the turn over   33/78 crystal cartridges ???

Hello Pete

I assume this dynosaw club is not a closed club? ( I think I am already a member!)

I still have a wind up Gramophone but my record deck has a magnetic cartridge!

But stored upstairs under a bed I have a Phonograph(Grafaphone make) and 2 boxes of cylinders!!!!!(With original instructions!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphophone

But all my CD,s are in the modern car one  after eight card and it shows me the titles and tracks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roger

ps thank,s for the information I will get one of those keyboard thing,s

My first record was a 78 recording of Fingals Cave Overture.. and I still have it.

I used to love the auto-change tape player in my car, waiting for it to switch sides and the little green arrow-shaped light would go from left to right.

Manual tuning the radio as you drove along by turning the big black button or pushing one of four or five selector buttons that moved a string to turn the tuner.

Two speakers - four were for luxury cars but you could always add your own to the existing two speaker wiring. Second hand cars always had two huge holes in the rear shelf where the previous owner had removed his favourite speakers.

Watching the red power light get dimmer when you turned the ignition off until it faded away completely.

Even extending the aerial is a thing of the past now, they're all built into the glass...

My modern has a single CD player - but also a 20Gb hard drive to store music and video's on. Even has most music with the album artwork! Long time since I had a tape deck in a car - or even the house - the stereo dates back to 1989 or thereabouts and doesn't have a tape and only has a tuner, separate CD player and separate amp. 

I never really had records - only ever bought a few as when I was a kid I couldn't afford them and when CD's came out bought them instead, though my dad did have a lot at one time.

Actually I went to the Philips Museum in Eindhoven in about 1984 - just about when the first CD's and players came out. I remember very clearly sitting in a round booth listening to both classical and pop music and being in total awe of the sound quality.

Now ruined by producers winding up the volumes and distorting the sounds - hence a lot of people now say vinyl is better - its only better because they have to keep the volumes in check and not "blow it out" - Listen to something like an original Cd of Brothers in Arms and it is superb. 

I feel loading a cd or lowering the pick up, wind it up if needed  means you have put something into the performance

Rather than  the characterless scroll a list and tap 

As for car radios the old tuner knob and a few presets could be operated without having to look

Modern ones with 500 programes and  silly sound options is as bad a distraction to use as the darn phone 

Pete

Reckon my iPod Classic is 10 years old now - no issues with wifi as it simply connects to my 11 year old laptop and synchronises! iPad 2 was bought 6 or 7 years ago and is great for web browsing, eBay etc - makes the laptop redundant for most tasks except word processing and storing my iTunes library (not gone the iTunes Match route). iPhone 4S works fine 4 years in and has good battery life still. The photos linking to other devices is a nice touch. Apple TV box is a great little bit of kit for streaming photos and music from iTunes / PC to the TV and my 1990 Technics amp driving Acoustic Energy floor standing speakers.

The thread running through all of this is not Apple, but me benefitting from failing to keep up with the latest innovations intended only to make the previous models obsolete! The kit works, so I see no reason to change any of it. That said, I have just bought a Win7 CD to update the laptop from Vista, so the whole system will probably disintegrate around me when I do that and add the new wireless printer (12+ year old HP inkjet has finally died, as did its matching scanner 18 months ago - both were second hand).

Gully

Ive just bought a epson ET4500 with £40cash back deal 4 ink tank printer, ink cartiges are a distant past and from places like catridge people Was £13 for a spare set of  4  bottles of 70cl.   Way cheaper than any other method.

Printer is a tad pricey to start with but never having to swap and fight those silly cartridges is bliss

One fill should last me over a year , and with local area club stuff it gets a good bashing 

Pete

I've got an HP printer.  They insist on regular ink contract, and send you new cartridges before you run out.

But you can choose the level of contract.  I wnet fopr the powest at first, but themn incraesed my 'subscription' as if you do exceed that elevl, rpintouts get more expsnive, but only a bit.    I'm happy with it now.

John

the ET4500 holds 70cl of each colour , every time you switch on is asks you to check the levels

easy as the tanks have a clear window external to the machine , ive used it for 3 months and the ink is still up to the fill line

I bought the spare set of  4 generic inks  at £13 " (280ml)  but by the time i need to use them i will have forgotten this posting

you can buy bottles of ink for peanuts but these are easy to load without spillage 

product says 6500 pages per  70ml bottle 

pete

22 hours ago, Anglefire said:

Long time since I had a tape deck in a car - or even the house - the stereo dates back to 1989 or thereabouts and doesn't have a tape and only has a tuner, separate CD player and separate amp.

Actually I went to the Philips Museum in Eindhoven in about 1984 - just about when the first CD's and players came out. I remember very clearly sitting in a round booth listening to both classical and pop music and being in total awe of the sound quality.

Now ruined by producers winding up the volumes and distorting the sounds 

I've just built a 'listening room?" (she calls it a mancave) with a record player, tape deck and CD player with two different sets of speakers (and there's quite a difference in sound between even those when you switch between them). I played my first tape cassette in years and the sound quality is terrible compared to CD. The leap in sound quality when I got my first CD was amazing.

I don't know about producers distorting the sounds, there was a guy performing on TV recently (he'd won some award) and all he was doing was grunting, bending over and poking his fingers at the camera. I had it diagnosed as kidney stones from the word go.

Oh, and re the iPod - went to the garage, iPod almost completely greyed out. "You need to connect to wifi to listen to music". Really?

I've now just done a factory reset on it to see if that teaches it any manners.

I must admit, I have to sort my iTunes library out - read that as start again! - as half of the stuff I imported from CD's seems to have disappeared or got deleted or duplicated or otherwise messed up (I was going to say something else, but thought the better of it on a family friendly forum ;) )  

Apple do seem to have lost the plot - or are trying to pacify the music industry as I don't think you technically can legally copy your CD collection onto your iPod - though I'm happy to be corrected! 

8 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Ive just bought a epson ET4500 with £40cash back deal 4 ink tank printer, ink cartiges are a distant past and from places like catridge people Was £13 for a spare set of  4  bottles of 70cl.   Way cheaper than any other method.

Printer is a tad pricey to start with but never having to swap and fight those silly cartridges is bliss

One fill should last me over a year , and with local area club stuff it gets a good bashing 

Pete

That one's on my list as a possible - where did you find the best deal, please? Not seen it advertised with cash back.

Thanks,

Gully

I have a Samsung Chronos laptop. i7 processor, very fast but, occasionally has the same problem as Pete's tablet. Infuriating!  Must be a Samsung generic feature!

I have a colour HP laser jet printer and also a black and white. They must be 10 years old, only recently on their second sets of cartridges. But are these now superseded by ink tanks?  

I reset the iPod to factory spec, and Apple sent me an authorisation code - to my daughter's iPad fifty miles away. Why won't they recognise my flaming Apple Mac that I'm currently typing on, as my main machine?

Even the TV's at it - this morning BBC iPlayer made me sign in on my Apple, and I had to run back and forth between the two with verification codes and authorisation codes for ten minutes while my coffee got cold...