Spitfire Service Interval Reset

Colin Lindsay

I was looking at this item on eBay and the seller claims it has the Spitfire Service Interval Reset Key.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173104948044?ul_noapp=true

I'm used to that on my moderns - the Service Interval warning has to be reset after each service, and there's a trick to each car if you're not a dealership - but I've never heard of it for the Spitfire.

Did the USA Spitfires have a service interval indicator? If so, how did it work in pre-digital ECM days?

Yes!

https://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500-speedo-cables-service-interval-counter-usa-california

If you can figure it out let me know. :D UKC4618 appears to sit between two halves of the speedo cable.

I have an OBD2 meter for my modern and you can turn ALL your warning lights off as they pop up.

Doug

Not all manufacturers allow more than what they are legally required to expose to normal OBD readers. Land Rover for example. But you can get dedicated ones that allow a lot of the configuration to be changed to add features that weren’t specified at new. I had one for my old Disco3 and although it cost around £450 - it saved me loads in both diagnostic time and being able to carry out maintenance functions as well as a bit of coding to add later instrument pack firmware. 

And I sold it on for about £350. 

Even a £10 reader has saved me a lot of bother - a few months ago my Mondeo went into limp home mode with the orange engine warning symbol on. I ran a test with the OBD reader and it indicated no problems, so I cancelled the error messages and the car has run perfectly ever since. A garage would have charged me a fortune to repair an invisible fault that hasn't reoccurred since.

Some of the service-interval workarounds are quite funny.... along the lines of "turn the ignition key to position 1. With the heater switch depressed turn the indicator to the right-hand signal position. Flash the headlights three times and then with the hazard warning switch depressed turn the ignition key to position 2. Retract both door mirrors and keep the switch depressed for three seconds until you hear a beep. Place your right hand in your left pocket and switch on the interior light with your nose. NOW turn on the ignition and the warning lights should extinguish."

It's like motorised Twister... :)