Diff Bearing Circlips

Darren Groves

Just replaced the seals & bearings on the output shafts of my diff, bought 2 new bearing circlips from a well known trader in Lincoln, only for them to be too big so just fall into the groove and could easily be picked out again with your finger nail.

The new one is the top one in the photo, inner & outer diameter fair bit bigger than the original.

So anyone doing this job, please be sure your replacement circlips fits correctly.

Darren 

circlips.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Mine came as part of the kit. from Canley. And where absolute pigs to get the old ones out even with circlip pliers and a small screwdriver, you really need 3 hands on that job!. The new ones went in OK and look to be as tight!.

The ones in the picture look to have been opened up deliberately?. I assume you took the issue up with ?????. BTW how did you get the bearings off? In the end I boiled the whole thing in Oil. Then sat the Shaft on an Ice pack for 10 min. before the damn thing would move!. I could have done with some Liquid Nitrogen!!

Pete

They offered a refund, though I haven't checked yet to see if it's come through. Wasn't really about the money as it was pennies, but more that they should take their remaining stock out of circulation so someone doesn't unwittingly fit one thinking it's OK.

I bought a Crankshaft Woodruff key from them last year and that was too wide, I told them and they refunded said they'd check their stock. To be fair to them I reordered a couple of months later and the replacement was fine.

Bearings came off pretty easy with a press and a little heat.

Darren

The circlip on my output shaft came off after a few minutes by using the sharp end of a nail underneath one end of the clip and pushing the nail up and around the shaft. I can see by the photos that the clip still looks useable , but heed Petes advice about buying new circlips (the right ones).

The bearing is  a different story...won't come off no matter how much I swear at it. A trip to my local garage is on the cards!