How has this been done?

Danwedges

So I was browsing eBay and come across this mk3 gt6 for sale that has been converted to run no bumpers and has had the overrides removed and personally I think it looks great and I'm dying to know how it's been done.

Has anybody seen the car in person? Is this a members car? Or has anyone else managed to remove the bumpers and overrides and had a similar result 

Link to the post on eBay 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F302608394081

And I'll attach a couple of pictures in case it's removed from ebay

Screenshot_20180124-230650.jpg

Screenshot_20180124-230621.jpg

I think Dave Picton (Picton Sports Cars)has converted a few. Certainly roundtails, but I thing the new hinge arrangement would work on any version. 

Afraid I haven't got any pictures, and I am struggling to remember the exact details. I do Know it involves a bit of cutting/welding, and not a straightforward job.

The car above obviously has a "custom" front valance,or is it attached to the bonnet? If attached, that would be even trickier.

A couple of hours on Google may help?

Nice looking car

not sure it is the best implementation of the internal hinges as it seems to have had the nose of the bonnet remodelled slightly.

easier to do it with a Mk2 GT6 bonnet. You cut the hinge boxes off and add pivots to shortened bonnet tubes to work off the front rail.

Picton Sports cars have done quite a few of these.

Dave did have a website once with pictures on it, but it looks like he may be late paying the bill... :-)

A lot of money spent. As well as no bumpers the rear wings have been de-seamed and the roof seam above the windscreen is gone. An upgraded dash with additional dial and switches. But what's with the dangling air vent below the parcel shelf? Suspiciously no pictures of the engine bay. I guess it maybe what a GT6 mk4 would have been, but it's not for me.

Doug

Colin, the Green Spit bonnet does pivot open in the conventional (tilt forward) manner. He did show me but it's so long ago I don't remember the explanation. The handle-less doors I do remember, they open from a pull-cord inside the door frame.

Cheers, Richard

OK, I think I may have something here. I've searched through my photos and found this one I took outside his workshop in 2014.Green_Spit_in_2014.jpg

Zooming in on the front valance, you can see the little cut-aways and what I think were the hinges that he used. It all looks completely non-standard (this vaguely rings a bell), but it moves the hinge far enough forward that the bonnet tilts clearing the valance etc. while still being (almost) hidden.

Green_Spit_Detail.jpg

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers, Richard