Triumph Herald 1200 poor cold start

andyjwill

Hello

My 1200 Herald is poor cold starter. It takes 3 or 4 attempts to get it to fire. Once started it runs ok but does seem to need a small amount of choke when driving in the cold. I try to start on full choke.

once started and then turned off. It fires first time on subsequent starts. Starts well once warm.

Any ideas how I can sort  I have new fuel pump, thanks leads and distributor cap ready if needed.

Other point of note my nephew cleaned the carb when I first got it over 4 years ago and said there was a missing ball bearing  is this allowing fuel to drain from carb, hence need to get fuel in before it starts?

Any Help appreciated

thanks

Andrew

Think the only ball is in the accelerator pump  sits under a small spring under the jet nozzle

Cold starts are depenadant on the fuel level not evaporated to a low level and the need tomwait to top up from the pump.

If you have a primer , give it some pumps after a short lay up.

Does the choke flap actually close fully, some have a automacity spring , coiled to load the flap but allows it to open as the engine fires up

The flap should fully close the venturi and open with a light finger on the flap.

Do check you are getting a feed to the coil when you are cranking

Pete

Thanks Pete

ill check the choke. Existing fuel pump doesn’t have a primer but new one does so maybe I’ll put that on.

As for the coil that’s beyond my limited scope of knowledge I’m afraid!

I live close to you. If you’re free one day I’d appreciate if I could pop round for a chat and see what you think about the car. If that’s inappropriate. Sorry!

andy

If the fuel level has dropped it will take a while to pump through. I always think that this short time to prime the fuel system will also do a bit of priming of the oil which will have also drained, so don't really see it as a problem