Coil spring compressor lessons !

Had an “interesting” day today removing my coil springs from the front struts. 

I had two types of compressors - an old pair of “single jaw” Draper ones (picture 1), and a new pair of “double jaw” Drapers I bought last week from Amazon (picture 2)  

The double jaw ones didn’t really fit well due to their radius of curve not suiting the GT6 springs - I pressed on undaunted.......Lesson 1 - if they don’t fit TOTALLY snugly, abandon the project  

One of them then detached itself under pressure and flew smartly across my workshop - happily in a northerly direction while I was standing to the West.......lesson 2 - keep the released strut inside the spring to avoid a bowing explosion, and don’t stand in line with the resultant end point !

The said compressor came to rest in my stock of Diet Coke, inflicting an impressive wound on one can......I was suddenly aware that this could have been my stomach, kidney, eye or other vital organ - see picture 3  lesson 3 - wear protective gear !

All’s well, and I was uninjured and a bit older and wiser.  The two-jaw compressors also both suffered stripping of their screw threads bizarrely, which could again have been dangerous, and are on their way to Amazon for a refund.  Really poor quality.

80D9B038-25FF-4B2C-81F1-7ECBD1FECAAF.jpeg

3A5A8085-5553-4DA9-A647-51EFB9E1A1A0.jpeg

1F6193CB-383A-45AE-8E0E-375E3CBACBA4.jpeg

I seem to remember taking springs out with a pair of the single jaw type many years ago with no issues. But must admit I do like the look of the proper job above and will get one when the time comes to replace my springs. The were an advisory last year on the mot. Not that I’ll probably get another one, and just go for another pair of eyes ? .  

I've had a pair of the double hook spring compressor sitting in the garage for absolute years - never used them.

Going to a car boot tomorrow and they will be on our tables up for sale; purely in response to this thread.

Many thanks.

Richard.

I use them on moderns, particularly the rear springs which are under very little load - on a Renault Clio for example if you jack the rear of the car up and let the axle hang you can remove them both by hand alone. Last time in anger was my Discovery when I fitted uprated front shocks and I used the double claw type on the springs.

One thing I've found about the Club spring compressors - you need to keep the threaded bar well greased to avoid excessive wear.

Been there done that.  Goes like an artillery piece.  Mine took out a chunk of metal out of the bonnet and ended up 30' away on the other side of the road..... I took the other side to a local garage which charged me a fiver for the job.

I felt the air move as it whistled past my head ... still brings shivers. 

Iwas using a pair of the double hooktype just yesterday. Front Dolomite springs, so a little larger diameter than spitfire etc. The 2 hooks just about worked on that size of spring, so would not be suitable for the smaller diameter type found on the small chassis cars (or indeed the rear springs on the dolomites)

I have always used my trusty single hook type for everything up until last year, when a thread strarted to look iffy. However, I think people often tighten one up too much, and that can cause slippage.Extremely important to work them evenly, and that is far more obvious on the club type spring compressor. (downside is that it only does the small springs, no good for anything else)

Anyway, new springs safely fitted, and all working beautifully.....with NOS Record shocks (remember them?)

17 hours ago, classiclife said:

I've had a pair of the double hook spring compressor sitting in the garage for absolute years - never used them.

Going to a car boot tomorrow and they will be on our tables up for sale; purely in response to this thread.

Many thanks.

Richard, you can pick mine up on the way!

Could we get into trouble for selling something so dangerous?!!! :lol:

Doug

Richard and Doug,

I remember being told of the dangers of the hook-type spring compressors but also, if I recall correctly, that if you used three of them (as opposed to two), they were safer.  So perhaps the two of you could get together and sell all four together as a set.  Selling  something you know is dangerous is something you may not wish to have on your conscience...

3 hours ago, TomL said:

So perhaps the two of you could get together and sell all four together as a set

Sorry Doug, it's just your set now - sold mine for £5, bloke was over the moon; he did not want the hard hat or increased life insurance !!

Tom, I reckon you might struggle fitting three of these on one spring - but I like your idea of selling four..........................however that would probably end up being two per side and used at the same time, so double the incoming shrapnel !!

Regards.

Richard.

I recently had the same type issues, with some I bought off Flea bay, They where too deep over the hooks to use, fouled the shock, finished up cutting them down with an Angle grinder!. Reduced the tendency to "fly away" with judicious use of some heavy Tie Wraps around the spring and compressor.

The biggest issue I found was that they where really to large for use on the Triumph Herald Front Springs and fouled the Shock.

Anyway, done now, and unlikely again in my lifetime!. Out of curiosity what was the cost of the "proper" ones?.

Pete