Steering wheel

dougbgt6

I do like the idea of a wooden wheel - but I also think that it would be a bit out of place in some ways on a 70’s car - a Mk3 then yes every day of the week. I also think that practically a leather one would be a bit better. 

But if I could get a wooden one for £30 then that is a different story ?

Also worth remembering that all the old style "large" bosses will fit a mota lita wheel. The only difference is the number of fixing holes, very easy to drill new holes to suit. 

So if you find a bargain wheel, you don't have to buy an £80 boss.... (I sold a brand new mota lita boss at stonleigh, think for £25......)

4 hours ago, Anglefire said:

I do like the idea of a wooden wheel - but I also think that it would be a bit out of place in some ways on a 70’s car - a Mk3 then yes every day of the week. I also think that practically a leather one would be a bit better. 

But if I could get a wooden one for £30 then that is a different story ?

Hello Mark

I still have the 13" wood rim one if you feel strong (no boss)

Roger

I bought an electric cooling fan kit in this sale last year - it was out of stock, but I was still only charged the sale price when it came back into Rimmers' stock a few weeks later from Revotec.

It's still sitting in my shed with the box never having been opened, almost certainly never going to be fitted as I worked out why my car was running hot - combination of an ill-fitting radiator cap (not deep enough) and a fractured rad cap lip on the recored radiator I'd fitted.

Gully

• Haha 1

That's more likely a radiator issue than a cap issue (and not your Dad's cap either) - due to the way the lip of the filler is profiled, the cap rotates and tightens until it hits a stop on the filler neck flange. You'll probably find yours has been dented or damaged by caps over the years, so if you can, get a screwdriver in under it and prise it out again. Just be careful not to damage anything else.

Weren't we talking about steering wheels?

11 hours ago, AidanT said:

Hi Gully

What was the symptom on your dad cap lip. My replacement allows the cap to completely rotate around and off again as you keep turning. I was not sure if this was an issue and if it could be resolved?

Aidan

As Colin has indicated the lip of the filler is profiled each side to tighten down the cap and make the top seal. On my radiator, one of those lip ramps had fractured, meaning it was able to lift and the top seal didn't! I could have had the filler neck replaced, but there was a small leak on the core anyway, so I replaced with a good NOS rad bought from a local member.

The issue with the rad cap itself on the new rad (and previous) was that the lower seal didn't sit low enough to seal, so as soon as the water warmed and expanded it flowed into the expansion bottle, as opposed to being pressurised in line with the rating of the cap (13lb for mine).

Gully