Rear end funny noise

euan douglas

I've noticed a bit of a thumping/clunking from the rear end at low speed and slightly louder on cornering on the GT6 (non roto).  I can't hear it at normal driving speeds so I'm wondering is it a worn U/J?  It seems to come from one side only, but you know what noises are like  -  hard to locate the source.

If the considered opinion is a U/J,  then I guess a driveshaft one rather than prop shaft?  Next question is, do you think getting decent ones from the Club shop is worth the extra expense or just go for the usual ones at about £10?

Thanks guys

Euan

Sounds like the drive shaft uj

The next generation x pins have slightly bigger journals

But  the std have lasted all these years , best to stick with known branded rather than mickey mouse chinese

Club shop offer both   down to   preference    but normal use the std would be fine 

Canley sell thicker circlips if needed to ensure there  is absolutley no yoke lift/float

• 2 weeks later...

Pete

Having got a couple of U/Js from the Club shop, just standard greaseable ones, I wonder is it worth trying to use the thicker, 0.061"/0.062" circlips as opposed to the 0.058"/0.059" ones supplied, or are they really only for already worn U/Js?

Secondly I suppose packing with grease prior to fitting is best?

Thanks

Euan

younly need the thicker clips if there is endfloat across the yoke,  some yokes spread a little and the thicker tak up the play

if theres no float in the caps when the cross pin is given a light levering you should not need the thicker

if there is still knocking  after a road test you can fit the thicker ones on the car , from underneath

allways make sure the clip groove is clean aand tap the clips to ensure they really have fully seated small hammer and punch will work.

compare the gap between all the lugs all should be the same , if one looks short  , dont assume its ok.

there's a few tee shirts for the clips to fly off at the end of the driveway or 1/2 mile down the road