Headlight improvements

Dave the tram

What is the most cost effective way to improve my late Mk3 GT6 headlights - they really are a bit dim. Looking at Rimmers I can get halogen replacements for 50 quid. Would this be an improvement and any issues doing this? I'd probably still limit my night driving as I'd still be sat lowest on the road peering through a windscreen with 45 years worth of scratches (not to mention the age of the eyes doing the peering!)

Dave

I have done a few things on my spitfire and now the lights are excellent.

1. Fitted relays. This mkeans the electric current doesn't have to flow through the and ancient wiring and switchgear, and you get full voltage to the lights. 

2. Use halogen bulbs, decent Philips extreme type, not the cheap ones supplied in conversions.

3. Used "crystal" headlights, not to everybodies taste, but they are good. Cheap conversion lamps will not perform as well as decent branded ones. Ring are not great, autopal not as good as Ring. (autopal ones can be had for £20 a pair off ebay etc, and often supplied by the Triumph etc suppliers)

Dave,

I have sealed halogen, which have been on the car 40 years, nearly choked on my cuppa soup when I read £50 to replace! But that's Rimmers for you, cheaper on Fleabay.

As Clive says fit relays, most have forgotten that ALL the current for the head lights goes through the dashboard switch. This can get internally tarnished/corroded and then you have a voltage drop, dim lights and a new dashboard heating element/fire risk! More importantly the head lights have no fuse, well worth fitting one. 

I bought a headlight relay kit, with fuse, came from China, cost £7! Works very well.

Something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H4-Headlight-Headlamp-Light-Bulb-Relay-Wiring-Harness-Socket-Plug-Wire-Kit/192284936495?epid=2194744936&hash=item2cc513492f:g:EmwAAOSw0ThZm5AF

Doug

I have Wipac Clearform headlamps on the GT6 (in the photo); the lens is clear with all of the light pattern coming from the backplate, so there's little light diffusion by the glass. You can use whichever bulb you fancy. I had Wipac Quadoptics on the Herald before, but they weren't as good.

My Herald 948 had the sealed beam units; good enough for moderate road use ie driving at normal speed on dark roads, but basic. Good condition ones ie with clean glass and untarnished reflectors are a vast improvement to many I've seen fitted.

DSCF1296.jpg.c23b7d32053207bebc036be0fe8615f3.jpg

17 hours ago, clive said:

3. Used "crystal" headlights, not to everybodies taste, but they are good.

I went through the same process as most....halogen conversion, then relays, then better bulbs, all helped but the biggest step up in light output was fitting Crystal Headlights. Like Clive says they don't look original, so some won't like them, but I do drive the car at night and I'd rather see where I was going than worry about originality. The advantage of these also is that they are all plastic, so won't rust like the original Halogen Conversion kit I fitted did.

Darren 

Looks like we are all reading off the same page!

Must agree with Darren about some halogens corroding over time, and yes, poor condition makes a massive difference to performance (My Toledo has the rectangular lights, just not available new and I ended up having to buy a box of used ones to get some in decent condition. Fitted halogen bulbs and one of the chinese relay looms. They too are great, and that car is used for night rallies and has done the RBRR, which involves about 20hours of night driving. No problems at all:).

Also worth noting that you do NOT have to use relays even with halogens, they don't use any more current than sealed beams. But really, they are a bright (!!) idea even on sealed beams.

2 hours ago, clive said:

My Toledo has the rectangular lights, just not available new and I ended up having to buy a box of used ones to get some in decent condition.

That's one of the downsides to individually-shaped headlamps! I must look out for some at autojumbles, just in case they ever turn up. Thankfully all of my oldies use the round versions that were so common in the day.

One very personal observation to Dave - do not... please... buy those terrible AngelEyes headlamps with the illuminated ring around the rim. I know of a very early Landrover that has them fitted and it just spoils the whole old-vehicle experience. Personal choice of course but I think they're dire on anything other than a Chav BMW... :)

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

dire on anything other than a Chav BMW... :)

Oi! My daily is a BMW with angel eyes! :lol:

Actually, they do look good on the Bemmer (IMHO) - but not on a classic - Some Defenders are now being fitted with similar and I'm in two minds - depends what else has been done TBH.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

That's one of the downsides to individually-shaped headlamps! I must look out for some at autojumbles, just in case they ever turn up. Thankfully all of my oldies use the round versions that were so common in the day.

Back in the 70/80s they were fitted to loads of cars. My Hillman Avenger, my sisters allagro, possibly fiats, ford??

I remember buying a complete halogen lamp for £4.95 from the local car place, about 1985. Probably a lot of money back then now I think about it.

But new they are rare as hens teeth these days. Ho hum. As you were.....

much of their demise was down to british sealed beams went bust   you left out Hunters and Viva's   life was much simpler

now we have silly styled lamps completely non universal and crackpot daylight running lamp configurations and more stray light to dazzle oncoming than the wolf rock light house .....progress......not

6 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

One very personal observation to Dave - do not... please... buy those terrible AngelEyes headlamps with the illuminated ring around the rim. I know of a very early Landrover that has them fitted and it just spoils the whole old-vehicle experience. Personal choice of course but I think they're dire on anything other than a Chav BMW... :)

There was a Spitfire 1500 with those fitted at Powderham last year, actually thought they looked OK....:D

IMG_5612.thumb.JPG.37f0d78c075fed8ee347ad66936aa54c.JPG

4 hours ago, Anglefire said:

Oi! My daily is a BMW with angel eyes! :lol:

Actually, they do look good on the Bemmer (IMHO) - but not on a classic - Some Defenders are now being fitted with similar and I'm in two minds - depends what else has been done TBH.

Lol can't get me, I've locked all the doors and turned the lights off....

It's just personal opinion - yes they suit BMWs, but not some older cars (I'll qualify that with 'some' just in case there's more)

Modern defenders too, but not Series 2 Landies.... come on, now! It's like furry dice in an Aston Martin...

• Haha 1

I have sealed beam H4 headlamps on my Mk3 and they're fine at night. I do have a set of the relays Doug linked, but not got around to fitting them yet (only had them 2 years so far!). One downside of the sealed beams is that they are flat fronted, so don't look original.

Gully

You used (past tense!) to be able to fit VW headlamps, from Polo or Golf or whatever, so it may be worth checking the scrappie for any lying about. They were very modern units in their day - late 80s or early 90s - and gave out excellent light, but the downside is that they're hard to find nowadays. 

Hello All

I fitted a pair of these (not at this price) wait for a 50% + sale and free delivery along with night breaker bulbs(I think)

I had a pair of cibies in before but these are much better they give a much flatter beam and sharp cut off.

If I can find the photo I will post it of one old and one new in the garage against a white sheet 

Fit relays first.

Here are the photo,s the one on left old lens but same bulb right new valeo same bulb  you can see the sharper pattern and right one is whiter

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/London+Taxis+Int_Fairway_2.7_1995/p/car-parts/lighting1/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/headlight/?471930011&1&d7b3497e8500a17874e4db58044a5d4eed45dbd4&000176

Roger

DSC00285.JPG

DSC00286.JPG

DSC00283.JPG

19 hours ago, Anglefire said:

I think Land Rover defender head lamps fit too. Well for the spitfire - but I thought they were the same as the gt6 ?

I think you're correct as to the size, but some of them have additional brackets or clips on the rear that require careful removal; after that they fit fine - in the GT6 it's the chrome ring that holds them on. You'll probably find that Landrover ones are massively cheaper than Triumph ones too.

I've just found this site on Ebay that sells various head lamps - these are Crystal ones for the Spit or Herald - but would have thought would fit the Gt6 (And given I have a Gt6 bonnet I ought to check!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crystal-7-halogen-H4-Head-lights-upgrade-Triumph-Spitfire-Herald-lamps-lucas/401017502153?epid=21004470981&hash=item5d5e8179c9:g:81kAAMXQUmFSgk4U

£29 a pair.

I wonder who they're made by? Their feedback is a mixed bag, although one Range Rover owner complained that he bought a "PowerfulUK" item and was actually sent a Britpart one instead? I would have thought it would have been the other way round...

For a more original look with brighter bulbs, these look okay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Triumph-Domed-7-Sealed-Beam-Halogen-Conversion-Headlights-Side-LIghts/251734266740?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49925%26meid%3D7e0a976519124c2aa7dc3db2c6c418db%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D401017502153%26itm%3D251734266740&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

5 hours ago, Anglefire said:

I've just found this site on Ebay that sells various head lamps - these are Crystal ones for the Spit or Herald - but would have thought would fit the Gt6 (And given I have a Gt6 bonnet I ought to check!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crystal-7-halogen-H4-Head-lights-upgrade-Triumph-Spitfire-Herald-lamps-lucas/401017502153?epid=21004470981&hash=item5d5e8179c9:g:81kAAMXQUmFSgk4U

£29 a pair.

Look good to me, and glass lens....I would be buying those if I needed some.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/headlight

Those ones? Owned by Valeo thesedays.

Nearly £100 a pair, less the usual 35% discount, so about £60 delivered. Maybe a bitless via carparts4less (same company as ECP, but usually a bit cheaper and mail order only)

EDIT cp4l indeed cheaper,£31ish each, but they have 14% discount off.... down to mid £50's, so sensible-ish.

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/headlight