Steering Unit Coupling . Vitesse

What’s the best way to access the Steering Unit Coupling on my Vitesse . I’m looking to add an earthing strap so my horn will start working.  I can access the lower bolt close to the rack but that’s all . Do I need to remove the steering column to get access. 

Thanks in advance

Paul

have you tried a extension and come up from underneath,  the uj does sort of hide behind the suspn turret

the universal may need the upper colmn lifting to get the unit out/off the shaft

other option is simpler add a DIY   sprung sweeper brush thingy  to mount on the baulkhead and rub onto the top column shaft 

and if removed and its all a bit past it try the modern uj sold by many , doesnt need the earth link

Pete

• Thanks 1

Thanx Pete. Ill try from underneath. Need access as bottom bolt was finger tight and top bolt is missing . How long its been in this state i dont know as its the only mechanical i havent checked since ive had the vitesse. Relied on the mot checks which were fine . Mot guys were also very thorough. Once out ill check for play

Paul

Hi

When in operation roughly how much "flex" is in the Joint?. If it where not a great deal. What would be the objection to making up a Steel flexible inter-plate, from (say) several layers of Shim?. To replace the Composite material. giving both flex and continuity?.

Just a thought?.

Pete

Dont know the answer to that idea, other than if any disc fails the yokes on the shafts do interlock so theres some degree of fail safe

The fibre rubber disc has lasted all these years amd well, proven, the solid uj gives more feedback but can seize up and make for lumpy steering

Was commonly on  fiesta, s way back. Steering like a thruppybit

When assembling the shafts the forks/yoke must be at 12 oclock/3 oclock ,  to make a +  not a  x

Pete

Just cogitating, But with the plethora of parts, some with potential for corrosion, between the Horn push and the Earth/Horn. The idea of directly connecting via a "brush" might be quite appealing?. Just a simple "wiper" on the column, would, as Pete said, Suffice?. May be when I get round to wiring I will look at it as an option, adding any wiring into the loom and locating under the dash, whilst the whole thing is still dismantled.

Pete

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2018 at 2:33 PM, Paul H said:

Thanx Pete. Ill try from underneath. Need access as bottom bolt was finger tight and top bolt is missing . How long its been in this state i dont know as its the only mechanical i havent checked since ive had the vitesse. Relied on the mot checks which were fine . Mot guys were also very thorough. Once out ill check for play

Paul

UPDATE

Finally accessed the steering UJ at the base of the steering column - Access is ni on impossible to reach from above as the top bolt as its covered by a chassis arm - my previous post identified that I had a loose lower bolt and a missing top bolt !!! so only the spline was holding the column to the steering rack. Access was carried out by removing the steering clamp under the dash and a connector which operates the crush zone . Its then a case of withdrawing the steering column top section into the cabin - plus removing cables etc . 

This is what I found. The top section of the steering UJ had no bolt because the spines were covering the bolt access - another explanation could be the splines jumped because there was no bolt
.5aa7a10049765_SteeringShaft-Knuckle-Lower-UniversalJointType1.thumb.jpg.4e06247f22862bf44e9c730c575704f5.jpg

Worth a check on your Triumph ?

Paul 

• Like 1

Hi

On both the Steering Rack and the bottom of the column, are Grooves, These are to allow the bolts to pass through, they also mean that when/if the bolts are slack the column cannot detach from the rack, unless the bolt is missing altogether, you will however experience slackness in the steering.

The 2 Pictures, are taken from the Haynes Manual. (in this case for the Vittesse because the clarity is better, but the Herald is the same). It also shows the Earthing strap, without which the Horn will be at best intermittent.5aace33c7d863_SteeringRack.thumb.jpg.e3cf4b20ea63119d6ff03c142a810e13.jpg5aace330d4aae_SteeringGeneral.thumb.jpg.c12113e99b64f95d2208f88b087a4656.jpg