Herald driveshaft to diff oil seals

Barry Kemp

Need to drop the drive shaft flange , and use allen hex key through the bolt holes to remove the short shafts

They are not the easiest thing to strip, the circlip is a pig to remove , often have to chop it to release it.  Get some new ones

See notes in darrens post earlier.

Getting the shaft out of the bearing can be tight , you need to grip the bearing in a good vice and drive the shaft oit

Once shaft is out you can prise the old seal out the hsg,  

Refitting is much easier 

Pete

11 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Getting the shaft out of the bearing can be tight

I can attest to that, I actually boiled the whole thing in Oil!, then sat the flange on a home made ice pack, before the b***er would move!. I was half hoping the bearing would be OK to re-use, but in the end decided that the extra cost was worth doing.

One of the issues I have come across is that if you drive a bearing on its outer housing, even if you have no intention to reuse it, I have actually had them so tight the bearing had crushed the cage and the outer came off!. Which can leave just the inner race often with no access behind it, then you are into split the inner race territory, hours with a tiny grinder and cold chisel!.

Pete

Edited by PeteH
added text

Ok so now you've got me doubting my resolve !

There has been a slight leak from the seals for years and years but I thought I'd correct this as I'd  taken the driveshafts/vertical links off to clean them up & paint them. I'm tempted to ignore the leak  now!

How much of this is done under the car and how much is done on the bench? For example is the circlip removed on the bench? 

Just the socket cap screws from underneath,  the whole shaft and housing just pull out

And work on the bench.with the assy. In comfort.   Strong tea is obligatory

Its a wire clip  has no eyes for circlip pliers,  hence if you cant get it to open a chop witha sharp cisel or similar removes it in two bits

Always replace with new what ever means of removal is used.

Its a good job when done, just its an hours job that could take  all day  

You may be luck and it all pops apart 

Live in  hope

Pete

I'll post a couple of pics to let you see what you'll be looking at. Four allen screws remove these side assemblies, then the circlip and bearing can be removed in leisure on the bench. A relatively simple, straightforward job. I was able to tap the bearings off once the circlip had been removed and the new ones were pressed back on, both actions with the aid of a simple bench vice taking care not to damage the ends of the shafts.

DSCF4470.jpg.865e60c076d0f60d7faec06d995e081c.jpg

DSCF4454.jpg.83598796b7bbc3218b1d2e63fef4096f.jpg

Hi Barry

replaced all three seals in my Herald diff over the Christmas period, it is really quite straightforward.  Treat yourself to a bearing puller from machine mart, it is worth every penny.  Whereabouts in the country are you.  If you are close I will give you a hand.

regards

Andrew

If you have access to a press then getting the bearing off is pretty easy, just a few minutes either side. I'm sure a local garage would do it for little money if you don't know someone who has one.

If you are replacing the circlips, beware if you have ordered them from a certain supplier in Lincoln as they were too big and just dropped into place: 

Darren

So, I took the shaft to my local garage to remove the bearing. They couldn't get the bearing off but bent the flange!  My next trip was to a private address with a good old fashioned engineer . He got the bearing off with his big press but the bearing shattered. Fortunately he managed to flatten the bent flange on his press - so that saved me a bit of money. The oil seal behind the bearing was made of leather...it reminded me of just how old the car is!  I'm guessing the new bearing won't go back on without using a press? 

Can't wait to do the other side!

I still love the old girl though!

12 hours ago, Barry Kemp said:

So, I took the shaft to my local garage to remove the bearing. They couldn't get the bearing off but bent the flange!  My next trip was to a private address with a good old fashioned engineer . He got the bearing off with his big press but the bearing shattered. Fortunately he managed to flatten the bent flange on his press - so that saved me a bit of money. The oil seal behind the bearing was made of leather...it reminded me of just how old the car is!  I'm guessing the new bearing won't go back on without using a press? 

Can't wait to do the other side!

I still love the old girl though!

When doing the other side, add some heat when it's under pressure on the press, it should let go without bending the flange.

Darren