Cam Timing Disc

Anglefire

Whilst it is raining, I thought I would draw up a cam timing disc that should (Not tried it yet!) fit over the crank pulley of a Spitfire to enable the cam timing to be checked - obviously to fit it, a hole will need to be cut - I've drawn a line 4" diameter as a cutting line - but it is not critical - it should print to form a 6" circle (When cut out!) which I think will fit on the pulley about right.

Cam Timing.pdf

• Like 1

I got one with my new cam - but its just a bit bigger than the pulley - and I (for some totally unknown reason!!) didn't want to cut it.

So I thought I'd draw one in autocad (well it's actually nanoCad5 as its 100% free!) as its easy to create the divisions - though the scale was a challenge in layout view, so just exported it in model view :lol:

Never thought of the cam having one too - though I'm hoping that cam timing isn't my issue!

My cheat rather than draw my one up was to scan a production timing protractor and then scale it as required.

I always time a cam even if it has timing marks but then I am ex Lotus and worked on racing cars during my mechanical / engineering apprenticeship before going over to design.

Found that with Ford engines I had to make up off set keys to get the cam timing spot on.

Yes raining , Ray and I just been to Potterbar to start 3 cars 

Cold wet and ...failed,   one needs lift pump one has spark but not at plugs , third not atempted but fuel and spark but choke cable not opening choke

Give it all a good try but weather got the better of any sain progress

Brrr Grrr  

Another day for the traveling duo

Pete