AA - Badges

Anglefire

Morning,

I've got a couple of old domed AA badges - the one from its number is from between 1960 and 1961, the other one I'm struggling to date - because its number doesn't follow the numbering system https://www.theaa.com/about-us/aa-history/car-badges - its number is 0743667 or it might be O743667 (I.e. letter O rather than number 0)

IMG_1418.thumb.jpg.5561aaaf964fbd9dd58d39f348ac225d.jpg

Anyone got any ideas?

All mine are between 1957 and 1963, according to the list, so no oddities there.

The list at the top of your linked page shows codes from 1930 - 1945; however the badges themselves only run from 1930 to 1939 and then restart from 1945. The 1930 - 1945 era codes had the suffix from A - P, so if yours is an O (letter) rather than zero this would put it at the end of production for that series ie 1945 itself, or possibly 1944 depending on the volume of membership. 1945 is also the date when the new system of lettering starting with OA came into play which lasted to 1967. It appears no badges were made during the war so I'd guess that after the war, members who had already joined could apply for a car badge with their serial number on it, but this would be the new design as the old one had ceased in 1939, so it's a post-war badge with a 1944 / 5 code on it. Does that sound about right?

Colin, that makes perfect sense - I think it is letter O rather number 0 - because it's a slightly smaller character and more rounded. I did assume post 45 due to the design start date, but as they still have prefixes upto '45 but no badges, it does make sense to have backdated them based on joining date - though I wonder if each new letter reset the number - because I can't see there being that many new member!

My  Dad was a early member  about 1928 and there was a early badge around , long gone, but when he stopped driving and left 

The AA in 1990 they sent him a really nice letter with thanks for the years of membership back to the early days,

Not just a computor generated trite, nice to see some common sense management , lets hope its maintained the respect for members 

Since then  ???