'Parts Wanted' area on forum?

Without treading on the toes of the 'Classifieds' area, would there be any problem having a 'parts wanted' section on the forum? Maybe with a few rules ie parts must be currently unavailable new from suppliers etc, or maybe some regulations on size, payment or price? Members wouldn't be allowed to advertise parts for sale but I know from experience there are many owners looking for some small elusive part, bracket or clip, that it's just not worth placing an ad in The Courier for but are nevertheless needed for their car?

I have a garage full of little bits that I'll probably never use but would go to a deserving home for the cost of postage alone and maybe keep someone's car on the road.

Any thoughts from members or admin? 

• Like 1

Hello Colin.

Excellent idea.

Perhaps something along the lines of:

"Parts free to a good home - postage required only"

The custodian of the parts and seeker could then liaise direct via the Forum message system; without clogging up the thread. If required the two interested parties could also exchange PM addresses if a photo of the part is needed - but in most cases probably unlikely.

The onus would be on the custodian to remove the part(s) from the list when no longer available.

A generic disclaimer protecting TSSC, would be required at the end of each advert - this can be a simple cut & paste exercise consisting of a few words.

A simple system that could prove useful, I believe.

Regards.

Richard.

Off the top of my head - small trim clips such as Estate rear trim 'S' clips, odd nuts and bolts (the idea came to me from Martyn Wright's post on hood shoulder bolts which are all NLA), brackets such as sun visor brackets, original Herald door hinges, certain original badges, things like these. Members could post, and if anyone has a link to a OE or alternative substitute supplier, an eBay sale, a breaker etc then post the solution, or else offer to supply the part themselves. It's as much to help finding a source of things as opposed to another member selling them on demand, although this is also something that could be looked at? I've been looking for at least three parts this week for members and they're all listed NLA, but not completely unobtainable if you search the right places. It's just to consolidate things into one easily browsable section. Gumtree has a 'Stuff Wanted' section and it's amazing how many things you have lying about that someone else requires.

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:44 AM, thescrapman said:

I would have thought that parts that are unavailable from suppliers are not that likely to be free

Not my experience on here. People are only too willing to help other enthusiasts. I have unwanted stuff, any one wants it, it's for free.

Doug

Hello Aidan.

In principle I understand what you are saying and of course any assistance to fellow Triumph owners has to be applauded, your suggestion proves such.

However, the rationale behind Colin's idea is to flag the opportunity of free spares for the benefit of others within TSSC, which becomes a one-to-one link.

By pitching third party sales via other conduits, the intended scheme falls foul and outside the proposed plan. In essence "we" would be flagging items from outside the TSSC community which could prove to be problematic for all the obvious reasons.

I have no doubt that if Triumph owners are looking for parts for their vehicles etc. then it is reasonable to assume that those owners will be doing their own research to secure such parts. Quite often on this Forum a user will state he / she is looking for something, on which someone else will pipe up saying "have you seen this on................." I have certainly done that for others on here.

If Colin's scheme is to take off and I really hope it does, then the parameters and limitations need to be clear for all at the very beginning.

Best wishes.

Richard.

I am "involved" in another forum. There a few of us eventually managed to get a "classifieds" section accepted. It took ages and there was strong opposition from the club committee (who like this club seem to stay off the forum/website)

The objections were about it reducing club income from classifieds, and worries of litigation.

Our reasons for wanting it were simple. There are so many places to advertise for free (facebook, other forums etc) that a club forum should not be left in the dark ages. Those times are gone, and if forums do not keep up, they too will die. And we argued that classifieds would help increse, or at least maintain, forum traffic, That increases club exposure, some people will join, big advertisers will be more interested in advertising on the sites etc.

We did a trial, and all was well, no problems.

T+C's were largely "borrowed" from other websites with way bigger budgets than ours, we set limits and made it clear no company adverts etc. The system woks. I have found parts, and even sold a couple of bits. In my view a classifieds section makes total sense....

54 minutes ago, classiclife said:

If Colin's scheme is to take off and I really hope it does, then the parameters and limitations need to be clear for all at the very beginning.

Best wishes.

Richard.

+1 on that, Richard. I'll leave the regulations to those that know.

Just this week alone (and it's only Tuesday!) I've had e-mails from three Herald owners searching for parts - they aren't as au fait with the Net as some of us, so I was able to identify the exact name of the part they required, the part number, and in two cases the part being sold second-hand online. However I understand there's a world of difference - and we're also talking legally - between me offering to supply a part for free, offering to sell it, posting a link to an online sale, or recommending a supplier who has it listed or available. 

I'll leave the fine print to the powers-that-be!

I admin another forum and we have both "commercial" sellers and private sellers. Commercial in so far as they are proper traders and private who are, well just that, members who want to buy or sell or give away stuff. No real rules (apart from the obvious ones) and that its buyer be aware - its just a vehicle to enable people to get together without the costs of ebay - we also have a for sale spotted section - so ebay links and the link.

But then the club does have its own commercial shop.

Edited by Anglefire
Wrong word!

BUT, and a big but, this whole discussion is pointless unless somebody contacts the "powers that be"

Probably the way to start off is the AGM, so it gets a proper airing. But if my experiences elsewhere are anything to go by, it will be an uphill struggle!

The "legal issues" are not issues at all. A std disclaimer is all that is required, the club has no part at all in any transactions. It is just the advertising media, just like a newspaper, ebay or newsagents window.

• Like 1

There does suddenly Seem to be a lot of requests for parts threads. I'm not sure they are all club members either. Another consideration for the rules??

Agree Clive we need a member or an AO to raise it. Any AO's reading this and agree?

Aidan 

UPDATE

Hi all,

So Chris has come back to me saying:

Hi Aidan

Thanks for the email 

This doesn’t need to go the Agm 
I will speak to the people who need to know and get it on the way ?

Cheers Chris 

Tssc Chairman 

Keep your fingers crossed !

Aidan

• Thanks 1