Headlamp bulbs

Paul H

Hi upgrading the electrics on my Vitesse MK2. Added relays for lights, horn, spots now fitting crystal headlamps. The 4 crystal lamp units came with H4 bulbs . I will probably upgrade to branded bulbs like Osram in due course. The outer bulbs are 3 tab and fitting H4. The inners are main beam and 2 tab and I need to purchase H7

Question . Can I use the supplied H4  bulbs for the inner headlamps ?

Thanks in advance 

Paul

NB  found an H4 Osram Nightbreaker in the garage which was a spare for my Land Cruiser so will be able to carry out a test to compare with non branded bulbs 

Hello Paul.

No you cannot.

The inner Vitesse run H1 single filament; whereas H4 run double for dip & main beam options.

Additionally I believe there is also a MOT reg that deals with the inner light beam.

Regards.

Richard.

Hello Paul.

Mmmmmmm.

It may be if the inners are sealed beam.

I'm certain when I converted to halogens that the modification only required 2x wires for the inners: live & earth, the third wire switches between main & dip which can be dispensed with.

The correct halogen conversion set-up is H4 outers and H1 inners.

I will make some additional enquiries.

Regards.

Richard.

Hello Paul.

Info lifted from a seller of Vitesse halogen conversions:

The outer main beam and dip units come fitted with a 60/55w halogen 3 pin H4 bulb that is much brighter than the original sealed unit. 
The inner main beam only units come fitted with a 55w single pin H1 bulb and the base plate has an earth so your original 2 wire set up can still be used

Hope the above assists ??

Regards.

Richard.

My Vit6 had main and dip on all 4 it passed MoT for more than 10 years ,  yes its not stricly legal for on road use it used be a max of 55 watts on dip or thereabouts, now modern lamps have so much stray light and glare its probably a nonsense rule these days 

But on mot they dont check the inners for dip only check it on main . Daft but  very  illuminating

Pete

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

My Vit6 had main and dip on all 4 it passed MoT for more than 10 years ,  yes its not stricly legal for on road use it used be a max of 55 watts on dip or thereabouts, now modern lamps have so much stray light and glare its probably a nonsense rule these days 

But on mot they dont check the inners for dip only check it on main . Daft but  very  illuminating

Pete

Thanks for the advice on main and dip for all 4 lights , makes sense especially as I have the H4 bulbs , the connectors need modding on the inners to allow for the dip cable and then running another cable from the inners to the dip relay. 

I did have trouble fitting the crystal units to the inners until I remembered a comment you made about the lugs not lining up. 

Thanks again

Paul 

I wouldnt say its good advice to break the rules its a personal preference,

But why not add a lead to a dash switch to make the inner dip switchable  then  its  now you see it now you  dont  

on for night   off for mot     hows that idea ??

And yes those lugs nearly fit but not quite,  ,  dont see why they dont comply with the std fittings .

Pete

3 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

I wouldnt say its good advice to break the rules its a personal preference,

But why not add a lead to a dash switch to make the inner dip switchable  then  its  now you see it now you  dont  

on for night   off for mot     hows that idea ??

And yes those lugs nearly fit but not quite,  ,  dont see why they dont comply with the std fittings .

Pete

Hi Pete , I’ve already planned for a MOT switch ?

Paul