Jumping out of 4th

Danwedges

The lever in thenOD is not realy sprung, its returned by the spool valve under the cap screw plug on the top,

Under the plug isna spring , ball and the tubular valve stem

The spring loads the ball on its seating and the spool valve sits under the ball , this valve has a very small hole down its centre this must be clear,  pull it out catch the ball and spring , check the hole.

There is no spring to return the sol plunger or the lever as such , 

Do you have a workshop manual ???

Yeah wish I had read through the overdrive section more thoroughly before starting it's a nightmare getting this tunnel in and out but I'm determined to get overdrive working I've seen there's a filter to check along with that valve and I've read about fitting a pressure gauge somewhere to check the pumps operating properly but I'll have to find a pressure gauge first 

Always leave the tunnel off till alls well

The gauge screws in the port opened by removing the valve plug . Dont bother with a gauge , jack up safely and run in 3rd at 20mph  with plug removed it should pulse oil with each rotation of the prop.don expect a gusher,  just a rythmical squirt

Just blow thro the valve,  poke with a wire...... if you have to

Ive seen many partly goo'd up filters they never afected the operation, east access with the side plate off, very gungy things to clean

Especially the magnetic rings inside

Obviuosly better if all cleaned up

Pete

I know I should have left it off but I'm using the car as my daily driver so needed it back together to get about, oh well what's another day tinkering haha

I'll defiantly check the valve and clean it through should I run the car with the valve, spring, ball, ECT all removed ? Will it push a lot of oil and require topping up after or will it just be a little dribble?

I agree with Pete its not truly sprung. The cap  21 (which is loaded by spring 20) has a pointed head that latches in to a grove in the rod 25 and holds the gearleaver in the position of the gear selected. The rods (23, 24 and 25) move in and out as you select the gears.

Dave