Water Bill

Anglefire

I changed our water bill to an online account last year and it is due again in April.

I've just checked the amount and is says :

Please select the account and enter the amount you wish to pay.

Now, it is pre-populated with the full amount- given I want to pay nothing, do you think this will be an acceptable option :lol:

My grandfather, "Old" Tom got a tax demand on his savings from the revenue. He was outraged and refused to pay. It went on for months, but eventually the letters stopped coming. He was very pleased with himself and ever after said "You just have to be firm with them and tell them you're not paying!" What he didn't know was his daughters had paid the bill to save him from jail. 

I would contemplate the jail option before you pay nothing! :lol:

I pay my water bill monthly, around £10. Well worth getting a water meter if you have low usage. 

Doug

we had a meter as a trial to give the Co local feed back on useage  , they came a read the thing for some  years, no idea what they did or gained but,  one night a knock on the door  its the water board,  youve got a leak . Really its a new pipe laid before the drive was tarmaced by the pikeys,  and later  a brick laid replacement ,  none of them noitced a leak but there was a sinking near the garage, well up with a few bricks and dig down to a fountain squirting wildly,  the new pipe had a fork peircing  done by the pikeys and never spotted some years later when the bricks were laid not even with the dig out to the sub base ,  the meter had recorded about 500 swimming pools of water , they do give you a leakage allowance and we were not charged 

but why did they not get some clues from the reading they took to show something abnormal was ongoing,   we will never know

but a meter is for the two of us so much cheaper than an open bill based on rateable values or what ever they use

we use  abit more than Doug and its around £16 month

dont forget you get a reduction if your rain water is soak away and not sewered,  but you have to ask for it ,youre charged drainage by default

Pete

we were cheaper on a meter, again 2 daughters at home at the time. if you do a lot of car washing or worse, garden watering, it could make it worse, otherwise it is almost always cheaper on a meter. and once the girls left home, MUCH cheaper (the 2 of us, with one daughter spending several weeks a year at home during uni holidays, we still use the same as an average 2 person home.

Our average use over the last 7 years is 61 M3 per year.

We are 2, mostly showers, some garden watering (we do collect rain water for this as well), very little car washing.

The consumption is about correct for 2 people here in France. Try using this as a base for calculating which option to go for, metered or not metered. 4 People won't use double - garden & car use would still be the same for example.

Get out the abacus ...

Hello  All 

We have a well so no water bill!

But I did have to buy a new water pump a few weeks ago £225 but it usually lasts about 5 to 6 years with maybe one new impeller £25 

It is a 24 volt Jabsco and pumps to a header tank controlled by a float switch which is 40+ years old (mercury type) proper old school?

Sewage is a septic tank that seems to eat all the wastse (not pumped out for 40 years just a bit of surface water now and then) a bit eggy smelling 

Roger

The woman across the road has a rain water collection barrel on each corner of her house. The water collected is used on her garden and green house .Additionally the toilet cisterns are filled and flushed once a day from the barrels. This is a bit naughty as the water bill has two parts, water-in and water-out. Water-in is measured by the water meter but water-out is judged as 95% of water in and disposal is half the bill. So by flushing with rainwater she's making use of the sewage system without paying for it!

Doug

The property we had in the rural part of the village here, before we moved into the village, had a well - over 7 metres down to the water - we could get about 3M3 per day from it. Not drinkable but fine for the garden. I found the well when we bought the property hidden under garden rubbish and covered by a sheet of corrugated steel with the consistency of a cream cracker. I walked over the hidden well and heard the sound of the metal dropping in the water, to say I came out in a cold sweat would be a big understatement.

23 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

So by flushing with rainwater she's making use of the sewage system without paying for it!

It's a wonder they don't charge us by the volume we put down the loo... that may come!

I don't pay a water bill but I do pay quite substantial rates, and they came out last week and had a sneaky around my new garage when I wasn't there. This will apparently increase my rates by quite a bit. They also claimed that the upstairs part wasn't in the plans, which was incorrect, but when I told them that the stairs were only a pull-down ladder and not permanent they were able to tell me that this would reduce the final bill slightly. Whoopee-doo.

I made sure that this wasn't going to affect the Mayor's chocolate biscuits, I'd gladly pay extra to make sure he doesn't have to downsize to Rich Tea.

2 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

It's a wonder they don't charge us by the volume we put down the loo... that may come!

Colin, they do! Well around here, anyway.

23 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

water-out is judged as 95% of water in

I suppose the missing 5% is to allow for perspiration. 

db