Detailed information

Hello.

Picking up from the recent points that vehicle identification would be very useful (dare I say it critical) when it comes to assisting with Forum enquiries, is it not possible to incorporate a REQUIRED box for vehicle identification when Forum users access the " Create New Topic" page ??

May I suggest the Web page format should be configured as:

Title - REQUIRED                           Tags - If Required

Model Type - REQUIRED

By adopting the above layout, it will prevent a lot of second guessing as to what vehicle the Forum User is relating to. In addition it will also prevent unnecessary thread updates / questions trying to ascertain the identity of the vehicle. 

In essence, the suggestion is to create one additional box; BUT a very important box for all concerned. 

Simple and yet 100% effective and VERY informative.

Regards.

Richard.

Richard. It’s a very good suggestion but I suspect very difficult to implement on a “out of the box” solution that the forum did on. I admin another forum - different software to be fair and it is not possible and I suspect that is the same on the invision platform. 

The best solution may be to have a “template” post asking for this information to be included in the first post - perhaps as a sticky at the top of the technical sections. 

As Mark says, there is nothing in the "out of the box" version of IPBoard to allow this type of additional field.

There may be a plugin that would allow it, but there are so many plugins out there that it would take months to plough through them to find one that added the extra field.

If there is someone that knows their way around the available plugins for IPBoard and stumbles across one that would do the job, I'll see what I could do to get it installed.

10 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

why not put what you got,  where you hide , how you drive , or whatever clues    in your profile  signature   many of us do that , 

Pete, this seems to be a very good solution. Can you please tell me how to add a profile signature? I couldn't find it on my profile page.

Adrian

Doug.

I'm surprised at you !!! I thought that would have been a "bread & butter" exercise. Common fella, you can do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark - thanks for that.

Regards.

Richard.

10 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Richard,

Despite working in IT I think I have IT dyslexia, took 20 years before I realized the icons in Windows Control Panel were in alphabetical order! :wub:

Doug

Are they? I bought my first computer in 1990 and have used them probably daily since and don’t think I’ve noticed. ?

On 23/02/2018 at 11:34 AM, Pete Lewis said:

as Richard suggested in the fuel cap posting  ,

why not put what you got,  where you hide , how you drive , or whatever clues    in your profile  signature   many of us do that , 

simplez or   what !!   solved 

Pete

.... done as suggested.  Simples !

• 2 weeks later...

Pete.

It will be a cosmic leap forward just to get the vehicle info displayed, let alone anything else.

IIRC it is either CT or the old TSSC Forum that indicated that the user was / was not a member - cannot recall how that was flagged though but it was visible.

Regards.

Richard.