Fuel gauge reading wrong.

Anglefire

The original one sealed well but the sender was buggared  The problem only occurs when I fill the tank right up  I've had three seals from different sources but none have worked perfectly. My next option is to make my own and I have a sheet of neoprene. Wondered if it would be petrol sage

Aidan 

2 hours ago, AidanT said:

How far is neoprene off viton guys?  I still struggle to get the sender sealed and have a sheet of neoprene

Aidan

Aidan, neoprene deffo. isn't as robust as Viton. A quick search showed that neoprene would swell in E5 and E10 petrol.

A small sheet of Viton is pretty cheap - so why not make a seal. We use a company called TYM Seals at work, who also sell on Ebay. Try BEIGE FDA VITON(FKM) SHEET - don't let the beige put you off! It's also 64-Shore so a softer grade of elastomer and I would have thought should give the best seal.

Cheers, Richard

Had a twiddle with the fuel gauge today - had a peer down the fuel filler and could see the wire from the float the wrong side of the filler tube ?

So I decided to bend the wire so it clears the tube - and in this shot you can see where I assume the  old one rubbed?

IMG_0376(1).thumb.jpg.b1f2aede8831ff82990c08f9fe668ef3.jpg

The other question is the fuel tank - are they all that shape - every picture I see and they seem to be basically a square box? 

My new sender unit may need some adjustment too as the fuel tank showed just under half tank and the car started sputtering at the top of my road and then just konked out...luckily for me I managed to coast into the drive yesterday...saw the tank was empty...put 5 litres into the tank and drove her into the garage.

Managed to get 145 miles to the tank from full to empty but I have had many choke starts since the last fill up.

Will do some fettling with the new sender unit as the fuel gauge should read virtually empty now.

Nautam

Well the amount of fuel you see in the picture is the amount that the gauge claimed was 3/4 full - now I’ve bent the wire and fitted it the right side of the fuel pickup it’s reading empty. 

The annoying thing is that there is a tab on the tank and a tab on the sender so it doesn’t sit virtical in the tank. One side and it’s reading 1/4 full the other side empty. But I can’t quite see how near the bottom of the tank it is or how near the stop it is on the sender. But given the tank is almost empty I’ve gone that side. 

And ive done over 200miles since filling it - probably nearer 250 though accuracy is dependant on the speedo gearing which is about 10% low - so could be a bit more. 

I haven't checked this thread before but it appears that your sender float wasn't falling far enough with the petrol level, due to the pipe being in the way. Now you've bent it, it'll drop fully, but is no longer the correct profile to read accurately at the other end which is why it's only showing 3/4 full when full. It'll take longer to drop on the gauge at first, but it's probably the better option!

Back in the day, many of us carried a can of fuel in the boot (How I miss my Paddy Hopkirk can!).... as the gauges were never 100% reliable.

Hi Colin - It's not bent much and is still the same plane as before - just bends around the tube. 

I'm not too stressed about the full mark - but knowing when its empty is handy!

And I do have a gallon container in the boot just in case!

I have just been adjusting my fuel sender unit and at present the fuel gauge is reading just below 3/4 full after filling her up...I may need to just turn the sender unit a bit and tighten the retaining screw to get it to be a bit more accurate but this is OK I suppose...when the dial reads empty, I know I will have around a 1/4 tank left so at that point I fill up....good insurance on the fuel side so I should hopefully never run out of fuel again.

Nautam

• 2 weeks later...

I've had so much trouble trying to fit a new sender, without it rubbing or reading either full or empty.

unfortunately I haven't got the original to copy. can anyone help with either a photo of an original or the shape they bent a new one to 

and which way round was best to fit in the tank . It's so difficult to see into the tank I've been bending it refitting then with a piece of string attached lifting it through the filler cap 

and watching the gauge to see if it reads full/empty 

it should have some poor lugs to locate its rotational position in the tank aperture  

it has to be up for full and down for empty if youre unsure rig it up outside the tank and from then on its very trail and error to get the arm to miss the suction tube and the tank sides  

pete