STANPART - Water Pump - Good Old Days !!

Hello.

Recent work on the Vitesse, flagged a suffering water pump with bearing rumble, purchased about three years ago with about 10K miles use. The pump was not under excess strain from the fanbelt which has always been adjusted correctly. 

I managed via, David Kingerley (mentioned on the Forum previously), to pick up a NOS OE STANPART water pump complete with grease nipple and pulley; an added bonus is that the impeller is brass.

It's a shame that modern produced pumps do not incorporate a grease nipple, as I have no doubt it would extend a pumps life significantly. Even just looking at this pump, speaks quality.

Regards.

Richard.

DSC00358.JPG

DSC00359.JPG

DSC00360.JPG

Dave, Paul and Ben.

Good input.

Correct - the fan is mounted on the crank pulley, my old w/pump and current one is not drilled.

The current pump is still in situ, even I have bailed out from the garage with this cold snap !!

Making a rough comparison it looks as though there may be a slight discrepancy with the offset, but will not be certain until both are side-by-side.

Pity if it proves not to be suitable.

Regards.

Richard.

I've been comparing photos of various Triumph small chassis water pumps.

It appears that I have the wrong pump :( and is probably a GWP200 rather than the correct GWP201.

Apart from the threaded body part, the pulley seems further away from body housing that mounts to the block on the 200 compared to the 201.

It is certainly not a GWP128, of which the pulley to body housing has an even larger gap.  

Oh well, keep looking !!

Regards.

Richard.

Not certain, but it may just be the pump pulley that is different?? That would make sense, same pump but different pulleys would make production cheaper. Then again we are talking Triumph....

Somebody may be able to shed some light on that.Or better still, a vitesse pulley.

• Like 1

Folks,

Until I have both pumps side-by-side there can be no certainty.

Colin - all things are possible !!

Aidan - had this pump not surfaced then DM would have been my choice for a new unit, my last one was from Canley Classics but it's a lotto as to how long new spec pumps or an component for that matter will last these days; one really is reliant on the manufacturer rather than the supplier.

Dave - agreed.

Clive - many thanks.

Regards.

Richard.

A local supplier here in Melbourne had Triumph 6 potter water pumps on special at around $60 the aftermarket specials? the pulley offset was not quite right for a friends 2500 so he took it back & their solution was to push the pulley further onto the shaft, all still working OK.

I brought a Repco (Aus) repair kit on ebay for the 6 potter (Vitesse) curiously from America and have rebuilt the original brass impellor pump, using a home made S/S shaft haven't used it yet its a spare on the shelf. I notice the pump seals are available for the UK suppliers. I should have purchased an Ally pump body from the UK as the original lump of cast iron offends me.

Regards

Peter T

Agreed, Dave.

Hopefully a successful outcome is awaiting around the corner.

As it's too cold for garage duties, I decided to start ripping out the en-suite today and rebuild that instead !!

Regards.

Richard.

13 hours ago, classiclife said:

As it's too cold for garage duties, I decided to start ripping out the en-suite today and rebuild that instead !!

Thread drift alert!! I've just done the same, after darling daughter twice flooded the upstairs bathroom which brought the ceilings down in the room below. I've stripped the room to a bare shell and rebuilt, awaiting the plumber but all the fittings arrived today. It's amazing how, in this cold spell, many workmen are glad of a stint indoors so not hard to get plumbers and plasterers this week!

Sadly I haven't been in  the garage in a week, tho... :(

6 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Sadly I haven't been in  the garage in a week, tho... :(

Ditto but milder next week, so hopefully normal duties will resume and I will have done all the "dirty" work in the en-suite by then.

Supposed to be doing a Drive-It Day to Brooklands Museum on Saturday but that is now looking very doubtful with an event cancellation looming !! :(

Regards.

Richard.

Hello.

Monday morning and milder weather, therefore straight to the Vitesse for water pump extraction.

The photos say it all, pity really but worth a shot !!

Old on the left, hopeful on the right :rolleyes:

Regards.

Richard.

DSC00349.JPG

DSC00350.JPG

I lied. Happened to be in the loft looking for something else (non car related) and found another box of tat, obviously mis-filed.

Anyway, the one I found has a distance of 60mm from top to bottom outside faces (not including the raised section around the bolt hole)

However, I have noticed that inside the hole looks like it could be machined down quite easily....and may be how the herald and vitesse pulleys are different??

There is hope. I will deliver the pulley on Wednesday:)

The bodies on those two look quite different; I hope it's just the angle of the shot but the new ones looks a lot beefier and the pulley may not slide down sufficiently?

I've just sent one off to EP Services for a refurb, so I'll report on that one once it appears back with me. 

Hello Colin.

The bottom of the 2x photos is probably the most level and yes a completely different kettle of fish I believe; a side-by-side photo makes things look a lot clearer.

Very interested to hear the outcome of EP, I presume it was just a case of packing the pump up and sending on its way ?? I may well be following the same path by the end of the week.

Regards.

Richard.