things we did as kids... before H&S was invented

Pete Lewis

just been talking to jo who moved away and we got onto the daft things  we do /did as kids

a 5 gallon oil drum full of gas ,did not  work  went of imeadiately and the eyebrows and hair eventually grew back...

then two 4d bagers down a pipe pointed at the moon, light the banger and load skyline wooden handled kitchen fork . ka booom,  where's   the !"£$%  fork , it was gone for ages ,

then weeee boing   it landed forks down about a foot from  friends head ,  and stuck firmly in the lawn, must have gone into orbit

the best was a motor cycle engine powered helocopter, rotor made of wood coverd in lino, one whoosh bang pop pop  and the blade took off over the fence into next doors green house

it took a month pocket money to repair the glass.

any way we soon grew up and and went onto more dangerous things ,  like a ram jet which exploded and burnt a big black hole in my mates lawn

on clearing gradparents house we found a small blank firing  pistol bit like a starting pistol old and rusty, i knew my dad had some old small blanks ina old box of air gun pellets, some aquired these

cut the end off the barrel, and added this old cartridge and some bicylce bearings , mount in vice and string to the trigger ,hide outside and pull string

anothe Ka boom and it went off,  so did the end on mates dads asbestos paneled garage, now had a 9" hole in it

more pocket money required , 

then we grew a bit more and girls got in the way...they were less inventive   i think. and never got anyone into trouble ....that i know of.

well  I'm  just waiting for the ice/snow  blast the keep warning about 

Pete

I remember when I was about 12 years old the local newspaper reported that a  burial ground close to a medieval hospital had been discovered by diggers who were excavating for a new car show room . This was too tempting as it was about 1 mile way so 6 of us went to investigate one evening . We found the area and the diggers has dug into a hill and left a 10 foot high wall about 20 yrds wide - We started to prod around and soon found some human  bones, but that wasnt enough we needed a skull so started to dig into the wall . After 20 minutes and tunneling in about 5 foot we found what we were looking for and retrieved our prize , a  skull . Then the whole wall face collapsed and we were lucky not to be buried .

Its 9pm ish and dark now and walking home with our prize we were stopped by a local police woman who enquired why we were out this late. We mumbled lame excuses and the police woman asked what I had in my bag - I produced the skull and where we had found it.

She sh** herself , panicked and said we had better go home as it was late and our parents would be worrying . I took the skull home cleaned him up and he stayed in a wooden box under my bed . I did have a pet name for my skull but have long since forgotten it. After a couple of years I donated the the skull to the local museum but chose to say we had found it on the building site 

Couldnt happen today !! 

Paul 

Looks like you guys had a fantastic childhood...all I remember was riding around in a Raleigh Chopper, playing with TCR scalextrix, Hornby trainsets, mecano and lego...also playing marbles on drains in the street...each marble had a specific type such a 'Chinas'

Also had an Evil Kneival, Action Man and a Six Million Dollar man where you pushed a button on his back and his arm would lift.....gosh those were the days...

Nautam

Carbide and water in a glass bottle.

Explosive made with iodine and ammonia, very touchy had it in twists of paper just dropping on a floor resulted in a bang and stain on the floor.

Nocking hole in the side of old shotgun cartridges with a nail insert match, light match stand well back.

Where is elf and safety when you don't need him.

Regards

Paul

1 hour ago, Qu1ckn1ck said:

Sodium Chlorate weedkiller and Sugar mix made some healthy bangs ....

Also made reasonable fireworks - cardboard tube, for colour, iron (yellow), aluminium (white) or copper (Blue-green) filings mixed in. 

Best was depth charges.    Shop bought bangers (can't get them nowadays) in a fistful of clay, light, wait until it fizzes, and chuck it in the pond! 

Stand by, No.1! Steer 190! Ping! Ping!  Instantaneous echo, Sir!   Fire depth charges!

Yes, we all loved "The Cruel Sea"!

John

I remember buying a box of rook scarers. Basically a potent banger, but loads of them on a rope that was a fuse, igniting one every few minutes.

Must have been about 16, but I remember the joy of making "exploding cowpats" when a bunch of us yoofs went in a country walk. They were also brilliant if you put an empty tin can over the top of one, the can indeed went into orbit (if it didn't shred) And they also made great depth charges. No clay required, I guess waterproof because of the agricultural connections...

I used to play in an old sand quarry, where I dug caves into the cliff face that was about 50 feet high. I also played round an old landfill site, where the bulldozers fascinated me, but I remember walking over newly grassed bits in the late evenings and feeling the ground swaying under my feet. It brings me out in a cold sweat even now, to think that in either case I could have vanished in an instant and probably never been found...

I never did ANYTHING dangerous as a child. But as an adult, the IRA have tried to blow me up on three occasions, I have been in two fatal train crashes and I have fallen off the roof of my house, uninjured. I think we are allocated get-out-of-death-free cards at the beginning and use them up as we go along. 

Doug

10 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

I never did ANYTHING dangerous as a child. But as an adult, the IRA have tried to blow me up on three occasions, I have been in two fatal train crashes and I have fallen off the roof of my house, uninjured. I think we are allocated get-out-of-death-free cards at the beginning and use them up as we go along. 

Doug

An old neighbour of mine flunked his A levels so ended up in uni in Belfast - during the troubles. He often came home to then look at the news and see reports of violence in Belfast but had not heard or seen a thing whilst there. He also came out with a double first in his degree (first time in the courses history I think) went on to do a masters and Phd. He is now a lecturer at another uni - Scotland I think.

21 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Doug

Shouldn't you publish your travel.plans regularly, Doug, to let us do the same, by avoiding you?  Big smiley!

:lol: OK Colin has already asked me what happened thinking I might have lived in Belfast. But no, this is what happened:

I used to work for The London Stock Exchange on their computer systems. "Big Bang" and all that, when they leapt from the 17th centaury dealing on the market floor, to these new fangled computer thingies.

There was the bombing of the Nat West Tower directly opposite the LSE., we lost windows blown in. The NWT was closed for a long time and there was talk of demolishing it and whether the LSE tower foundations had been damaged by the blast. The NWT caught fire during refurbishment and Nat West lost heart, duffed it up and sold it.

There was a cinema in the LSE where tourists could see a film about the history of trading and buy souvenirs. The bomb was in the toilets. Fortunately I was 20 floors above but boy did the building sway!!!!  They closed the cinema and sold off all the stuff to the staff, I still have an umbrella, cork screw and jigsaw. Again there was concern that the building might have to come down.

Finally the Bishopsgate bombing. On Saturday morning overtime, walking towards the Tower the bomb went off, I was about a mile away. The blast went down the main road blowing the windows IN. But the air was sucked out the side streets pulling  the windows OUT. I was knocked off my feet and showered in glass.  I got to the Tower which had lost most of it's glass up to the 10th floor. There was a constant crashing noise as windows continued to fall. After a couple of hours the crashing became infrequent and I made my way to check on my favourite pub, the Fleetwood. The pub was owned and run by Irishmen who'd been instructed to continue pulling pints but not to speak, to avoid trouble! Daft!They were our friends.

Every cloud has a silver lining. The following week there were glaziers vans as far as the eye could see, come from all over the country. And, flash sales of "bomb damaged" stock, I got a Burberry raincoat reduced from £200 to £40, not a mark on it. I think there were a lot of insurance claims and similar disposal of stock to earn a little extra. :ph34r:

I'll tell you about British Rail trying to kill me another time! :lol:

Doug

I bought my first car when I was 14 together with a friend. You have to be 18 to get a driving license here. But the Baltic Sea around these islands usually gets frozen in the winter. You do not need a driving license on the ice and there is no speed limit there B) Needless to say, insurance do not cover anything on the ice… The car was a Renault 8 with rear engine, which was perfect on the ice (engine on top of driving wheels) . It only had a small 1100 cc engine but the weight distribution was phenomenal, we drove faster on the ice than Volvos with much bigger B20 or B18 engines. Me and my friend drove that car like we stole it. In the spring time when the ice got thinner we used to drive it on the ice with the doors wide open. If the car went through the ice, then it would get stuck on the doors for a few seconds which would buy us time to jump out before it sunk (at least that was the plan…). I could also tell you how we got that car from our house to the beach/ice on the local roads at the age of 14, but afterwards I would have to kill you…

3 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Every cloud has a silver lining. The following week there were glaziers vans as far as the eye could see, come from all over the country. And, flash sales of "bomb damaged" stock, I got a Burberry raincoat reduced from £200 to £40, not a mark on it. I think there were a lot of insurance claims and similar disposal of stock to earn a little extra. :ph34r:

Doug

When they bombed Banbridge in 1998, some of the local clothing retailers had bomb damaged sales. In fact it was so lucrative, 'bomb damaged' clothing was being brought in from their other branches twelve miles away. I'm sure they wouldn't have told the Insurance that all of the items that had been sold off were from that branch... would they? :)