Boiler failed :(

Anglefire

And after a very long day (out of the house at 5:10 and back at about 8:40) I walk into a cold house with wife and kids wrapped in blankets - they haven't checked the heating control system of course - and I look at the boiler packed up at about 3:20 this afternoon :(

And it won't reset either. 

OMG Mark, that's all you need on a night like tonight !! Sorry to hear the news.

Manual override button, but I guess you have tried all the usual suspects ??

I presume gas supply to the neighbours is okay with their boiler ??

Good luck.

Richard.

Good  ive had some vailant board failures components falling off the board.and the wiring pugs are not inhibited , fiyt the board both ways round ,  nuts

But one thing cold weather gets on these silly condensing boilers is the condense drain is run outside and the  pipe freezes up

There resultant constipation corks the thing up ,  kettle, of hot water will free it up , or just makes the tea

If its singing or kettling it needs its small bore pipes given an enema

If you add antikettle you can end up with nice and quiet but  the scale ups the temperature and the limit stat you have found trips out

Pete

We had a knock at the door at 8:50pm last night- neighbours' boiler had packed up and BG couldn't get to them until today, so they were seeking some electric heaters! We didn't, but knew a neighbour did as we borrowed them back in Dec when our Baxi back boiler went on the blink. Result- neighbours introduced to one another and some community warmth as well as heaters!

Gully

8 hours ago, Gully said:

We had a knock at the door at 8:50pm last night- neighbours' boiler had packed up and BG couldn't get to them until today, so they were seeking some electric heaters! We didn't, but knew a neighbour did as we borrowed them back in Dec when our Baxi back boiler went on the blink. Result- neighbours introduced to one another and some community warmth as well as heaters!

Gully

If you still have a working back boiler hang on to it.  When our back boiler failed, regulations demanded that the replacement boiler was fitted to an outside wall to take the balanced flue.  We were not permitted to use either of our two perfectly sound internal chimney stacks.

Older units like the baxi and many others , long lasting cast boiler , all that realy fails is a £4 Thermocouple, easy to change  boilers will last 30, years

Condensing and dreaded combi have loads of expensive controls which when problematic at a very early life detract from the improved efficiency.  ?........Thats progress...      bit like modern cars ,  dont use any fuel but eat components you didnt know you had 

Or the classic , eats fuel, what ever you buy is worse than what you took off, 

Result they all dig into your wallet

But the suns out  

Pete

Very true Pete.

I had a Glow Worm space save boiler that lasted thirty years, with only the fan on top causing a problem on a couple of occasions - lubricant runs dry, but easy fix or replace. 

Thirty years service was a decent return, the BG engineers always commented on how efficient it ran each service year compared to others a third of its age.

Now have a Worcester Greenstar and have to say it is spot on, as with all things time will tell.

Regards.

Richard. 

Pete, I "own" 5 combi's at present. Very few issues. 

one ancient worcester, that needed a fan a couple of years ago, and when we bought the hpuse the PRV was leaking (happens as once it lets go, they never seal again) I did the PRV, took longer to find the last 2 screws in the case than do the change.

Modern Condensing Worcester. Dumb tenant played with filling loop, did the PRV. The new worcesters require a strip out to replace it. 2hrs work (apparently) and a £15 part.

Had Vaillant in last house (10 years, never touched) and current. Parents too, and just have one going in their new place. Only issues with the latest type is the fan gets a biy noisy after about 5 years, at least I think it is the fan, all a bit hit and miss in trying to find it.

The potterton fitted 15 years ago had a new PCB at 18 months, and needed a microswitch at 12 years old. 

I reckon boilers are pretty reliable these days, but understand the old type with zero controls are indestructible. I wouldn't swap one unless I had too. The economy savings are a close run thing. But worth paying the extra for vaillant or worcester (probably!) Vaillant MUCH better layout inside

Refused to have a combi last time I changed the boiler preferred a system with separate standard zoning valves and pump.

As for the freezing drain pipe from the boiler you could fit a heat trace.

Falling and laying snow here at the moment adding to what fell last night.

Regards

Paul

Mine drinks oil. I seem to be filling the tank every two months, just had to get another 900 litres, and this is supposed to be a high-efficiency condensing boiler. 

'Er indoors reckons it's because I have radiators in the new garage, so has made me turn them off... :(

I fitted two 1.5 watt LED ceiling lights in the old garage roofspace / man cave, and she complained that the lights were dim as I was now using all the electricity... 

my Vailant whatever model ended up doing a complete mind of its own, boiling shuting, squeaks and wheezes, the dispaly started to show no fault codes but a image of a house appeared

a call to vailant teck line solved the mystery house was some interface with air con and only on places like spain,  never in UK ,   ah needs a new board, got one off flebay  poped it in and it looked ok but would not fire up , call tech line ,aha  youre the guy with a house ...yes ,   new board  fitted ....yes ..  look at the fan wires  are they should be   red blue white

no they are white blue red. , thats good he says turn the plug around its got reversed, ,  is this not inhibited  ?,,  no say the man . it fits both ways ...Grrrr  swappped it over and  up she fires 

who would make a paxalin board with clip on plugs that fit anyway round   ...very odd .   its continued for long time now,  hope its not listening.

I kept the old board and resoldered the dropped offs back in the bard .  it may just comein usfull one day ...you  just have to keep these little odds and sods 

Pete

I had a Worcester condensing fitted by BG last year. The old Potterton lasted 22 years but regularly fried circuit boards, 5 if memory serves. My outlet pipe plugs into the sink drain so no freezing problem. However, the BG men told me my water softener would have to go. Checking on the boilermakers sites some say OK to softened water others say NO!. This seems to come from a misunderstanding of how water softeners work. Aluminium doesn't like salt. Water softeners use salt to clean their filter, but if you've got salt in the softened water something is very wrong! Plus the water in the boiler/radiators/hot-tank-heater is the same water year after year so if you fill the header tank from the mains to begin with why can't I Have a softener?!! :angry:

End of rant.

db

9 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Older units like the baxi and many others , long lasting cast boiler , all that realy fails is a £4 Thermocouple, easy to change  boilers will last 30, years

Condensing and dreaded combi have loads of expensive controls which when problematic at a very early life detract from the improved efficiency.  ?........Thats progress...      bit like modern cars ,  dont use any fuel but eat components you didnt know you had 

Or the classic , eats fuel, what ever you buy is worse than what you took off, 

Result they all dig into your wallet

But the suns out  

Pete

Yes, the chap who services our Baxi Bermuda keeps telling us not to be conned into changing it - all the parts are available (even the heat exchanger), so we keep with it. According to the paperwork, it was installed in 1984... Thermocouple was replaced for the first time since we've been in the house (14 years) just before Christmas - looked like it was the original part!

I have a hatred of condensing boilers - I know how much they cost house builders in defects rectification. Vaillant seem to be the least problematic, followed by Worcester.

Gully