Old Photos

dougbgt6

In the news today, some old photos of the East End of London. Some nice cars in a few of them, checked the number plate on this one but sadly not found on the DVLA site. The picture is Bushfield Street 1970 and the car appears to have a G plate 1968/9. Or is it C?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-43141667

5a953ebc560bc_eastend.thumb.PNG.01418fb2b861771d455a9288a63e5a8c.PNG

It looks more like a C than a G - Possibly! I fitted a single spotlight to my E reg 1200 beetle when I was a student - was a 6v car so I fitted a 12V battery under the rear seat to drive the radio and the spot - my passenger was nearly always the same and he controlled the spotlight from a separate switch :lol:  - Also had to operate the wipers once when we were going over snake pass into Manchester - tied some string to the arms and fed it through the quarter lights so they could be pulled back and forth - when we got back we worked out the linkage had fell off!

image.png.4a7793a6a99bc347b56830f12d95ee60.png

Possibly a 'C' with the number plate screw getting in the way?

I love Beetles, there used to be an old wreck nearby when I was a child - ADV 708 - and I played in it all the time.

At the other end from spotlights, I wired a large single-spot reversing light into an early Mini, with a manual switch on the dash and two long untidy wires running under the carpets and up under the rear seat to the battery in the boot. Sitting at traffic lights in Derriaghy on the outskirts of Belfast one day the car suddenly filled with choking white smoke and I bounced it onto the footpath and bailed out. It turned out the wires had been caught under the clutch pedal, they had shorted and melted right through the rear seat and a lot of the carpet. The car stank of burning for ages afterwards.

Colin,

I had a mini countryman, battery under the rear seat. Installed a new battery, two days later driving along and BANG! The side of the battery blew off. One of the plates was only loosely connected. Spark and BANG! Had to take a few friends with me to get my money back. :angry:

Doug