Engine swap 2500 Vitesse Mk I

Roger

7 hours ago, Ian Foster said:

Mark

I like the look of your air box and can see that you have tried to address supplying equal air feed to each carb. Triumph tried this with many different versions of tubes, holes and lumps on the filter casings, but never really nailed it, in my opinion. I am considering something similar on my Mk2 GT6 to replace K&Ns. Was it a custom fabrication job ?

Hi Ian

I modified a 2500s air box but when I make another for my mk2 gt6 also on HS6 carbs it will be easier to make it from mild steel or ally sheet, as in the end I changed and reshaped most of the original box to get it to fit after increasing the intake diameter etc.

Engine Autopsy: I have never owned a saloon so I do not have the 2000/2500 parts catalogue etc. Question: Could this cylinder head gasket be original from the factory? I found a part number on it: 207102 Found another number also: AE350. I´m just waiting for the bad news, but so far so good… There are very few signs of wear on this engine. And I have no idea what the blue stuff is.

IMG_5914.jpg

IMG_5909__.jpg

2 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

Blue stuff looks to me like hylomar sealant- which I didn’t think was required on cylinder heads - but happy to be wrong :)

Thanks for your input. It is kind of liquid, like grease, fluid, not hard.

Fit  copper gaskets dry they need to grip , anything slippy will end up failing, is that some blow by between 3 and 4 ?

On refit make sure the washers are flat not deformed by the nut   hard or hd washers are about it solves this saga .or you loose torque as the washers deform.

A small smear around the rocker feed oil hole at the rear is all thats really needed to stop that seeping.

Pete

• 3 months later...

Hi All! I'm dismantling my 2500 PI engine. How do I remove the sleeve in front of the oil thrower disc and the crankshaft sprocket? WM just mention "withdraw sleeve and oil thrower disk". Do I need a tool for this? Thanks in advance! /Roger.

2500PI.JPG

a gentle pry behind the gear should   start it to move is not a  pressed on fit  its probably just a bit of oil stick thats holding

they can pull off with the fingers 

if theres any seal wear refit it reversed there may be a lead on chamfer  for  seal lip,  just replicate  to make it double ended 

pete

The VAST majority of the heat under the bonnet comes from the radiator.   The internal combustion engine is grossly inefficient, even the latest, 2018, designs can only achieve 40% thermal efficiency.   so    Our old engines may be only 20% efficient.     All the rest of the energy is thrown away, as heat, with about 20% going down the exhaust and 40% through the radiator.

Most of the exhaust heat is lost in the gases.    Sure, the hot pipes can scald other items nearby, by radiation, but they contribute nothing to under bonnet heat!

Zircotec, etc, are used to keep heat in the exhaust gases, to accelerate them out and assist cylinder filling, they won't cool the under bonnet.     The only thing that will do that is to move the radiator to the back, and yes, I've done that.

John

• 6 months later...
On 08/05/2018 at 19:51, Nick Jones said:

You need to be a little careful with that inlet manifold.  While most of the Mk2 heads have the same port spacing, some years of US models (TR250? TR6? not sure exactly) are different.  I have no idea why!  They would have been for CD175  carbs though have a feeling that stud pattern for CD175 & HS6 is the same.

The other point to watch is though a manifold from a 2500S saloon will definitely fit the head, the face that mates to the head is machined at an angle so that the carbs sit more or less horizontal in a saloon - which has the engine tilted at ~ 6º.  This means that the manifold tips up at about 6º when mounted on a vertical engine (like Vitesse) and adds to carb/bonnet clearance problems.  If using SUs you need the shorter dashpots from a Dolomite Sprint.

Hi All , @Nick Jones is there any chance to find out if this TR250 inlet manifold on ebay is one of those that will fit my 2500 PI engine by looking at the part number that can be seen on one of the photos? TR250 inlet manifold, ebay

I guess the TR250 did not have the engine tilted 6 degrees, that would be a benefit. If it fits?

Thanks in advance! Br Roger.

I don’t know the answer to your previous question Roger.

I have been previously tld that all the long branch manifolds are angled whether big saloon or federal market TR. I’m doubtful this is true (not necessary on the TRs and harder to machine) but have no proof either way. 

I do know you need to be careful with US manifolds and heads because some of them (not all) have odd inlet port spacing. I have no idea why..... unless it’s because the US authorities became aware of the pollution potential of Lucas PI and wanted to make it very hard to fit retrospectively!

• Thanks 1

Not definitive, but about 20 years ago I bought a long branch inlet manifold and carbs that were from a TR250. Federal strombergs fitted etc. However I was disappointed to find it was angled so it never got fitted. Spacing was correct though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I never use them anymore - held my package ad I'd underpaid. Didn't contact me and was sent from pillar to post when I tried to find out where it was. Took another month to get delivery. I now change the m to a p in their name!

It was only a 60 mile journey!

Aidan 

If you want something to get anywhere use royal mail or parcel force...... Yes very expensive, but i have never had a loss or damage. cant say that about most others, and i wont use Her*es unless i can afford to lose it.. meaning if it arrives its a bonus!!

Tony.