Mini Wheels

Adrian

Hello all

I bought some original mini wheels at a cheap price and consequently in a known poor rusted condition. I took them to a wheel refurbishers who checked them out and put them on his wheel balancer, not to balance but to check trueness. He said they were out of true and needed straightening at £45 per wheel. Whilst I am not an expert I could only see a very slight 1mm possibly 2mm deflection on a couple of wheels.

I ask at the alter of knowledge, is there and acceptable limit to irregularities in steel wheels? I've looked on the internet but haven't had any luck.

Many Thanks

Adrian

i would not thought 2 mm was excessive,

seriuos  wheel runout will cause hub eccentricity  and cause uncureable vibrations feeling  like its out of balance.

but the tyre should accomodate 2mm and probably has more that 2mm anyway

is the runout side to side or out of round , both give different results  but 2mm is probably not far off the OE Spec as new ???  for a pressed wheel 

Pete

I have checked wheels by bolting to a hub (front on Triumph, on a mini rear) and spinning using a bit of stiff wire as a marker. A dial gauge would be better...

And straightened with a large adjustable spanner and some heat. Got wheels true enough not to wobble or cause vibration. 

Maybe the refurbers are a bit short if cash?

That was my thought both using a dial gauge and jacked up hub and the cash element.

Pete I think one was slightly out of round. My view is i'll check and get done if they are only slightly off. Lets face it its a mini 1000 not a rally cooper!

Cheers

Adrian

I suppose that’s the eternal question. People will only pay what they think they are worth. I don’t think they are too common as a lot of cars have the alloys and original steels demoted to trailers. Probably not as rare as the 5.5 triumph wheels but I wanted the option for going back to original. I only paid £10 a wheel.