Maplin

dougbgt6

3 hours ago, PeteH said:

The current drive to "electric" is smoke and mirrors, as the electric energy has to be produced, stored and then reused.

It's the usual NIMBY solution. Burn stuff somewhere else to give us energy here.

Sometimes I think we're in more danger from the fumes given off by decorative candles than motor vehicles.

Hi

Trouble Is as I see it. And I agree that Hydrogen needs to be split from Water in the first place using energy. Is that as far back as I can remember. That being a long way seeing as I am 75 soon. Nuclear Fusion has always been "just round the corner".

Most of the problem seems to stem from controlling the process once it gets started?. After all what is being "created" is a Micro Sun in all but mass, and my understanding (not being a nuclear physicist) is that once it becomes "self sustaining" control will be most problematic?.

Hello you nuclear physicist`s out there? I am struggling here!.

4 hours ago, Anglefire said:

Oh and a traditional petrol engine conversion of fuel to useful energy is around 21% - so similar to hydrogen - the only advantage of hydrogen is if it is produced from renewables - and there is no account for their production in the figures!

ISTR reading that the latest hybrid drive trains in F1 cars are approaching 50% thermal efficiency. Some very clever stuff being done with preignition chambers, the different version s of which can be identified from the exhaust notes apparently, and the way the hybrid parts interact. 

Couple of years and we should start to see that filtering down to road cars

Fusion is from my student days a lot harder to sustain - which is largely why it’s better than fission which does run away. 

And why they are struggling to get it working. 

To be fair the regen braking is already in mainstream cars - my bmw has it and has to be some reason why a 3ltr derv can achieve 50+ mpg on a decent run. 

On 03/03/2018 at 0:13 PM, Dick Twitchen said:

But to really keep the thread drift moving away from Maplin, it seems that the cleaning lady is also to blame, and more so than thought before.

https://inews.co.uk/news/environment/household-products-revealed-major-source-pollution/

But if you read the article through they are still trying to vilify diesel?. Using the right controls, the overall effect is minimal, and compares fairly well against Fossil fuel generated Electricity.

I cannot help think, this has more to do with the potential to raise Tax Revenue than anything else. But then I am a right old cynic.

To come back to the OP. I used many Maplin items over the years. But of late it became more cost effective to order online rather that a 17 mile journey to Hull.

To help Pete steer back: I only recently discovered Maplins; they never had any great number of shops over here and my nearest is 35 miles away, but close to where my daughter has her student accommodation. I've wandered about it many times since finding it and found things on the shelves that I never thought were available, which you can't do so easily on-line. You have to know something exists before you can search for it!

13 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

To help Pete steer back: I only recently discovered Maplins; they never had any great number of shops over here and my nearest is 35 miles away, but close to where my daughter has her student accommodation. I've wandered about it many times since finding it and found things on the shelves that I never thought were available, which you can't do so easily on-line. You have to know something exists before you can search for it!

Hmm!. I have a tendency to do that in old fashioned Hardware stores. AND the "ferretaria" (same thing) In Spain!. Aladdin`s Caves!. That and Machine Mart.

6 hours ago, PeteH said:

Hmm!. I have a tendency to do that in old fashioned Hardware stores. 

Mine just closed down on February 5th. One of those great shops with bins of bolts and screws that you just took your old one to and compared like for like without having to be an engineering graduate and be able to quote length, thickness and thread type, and they always cost 5p or 10p each and not £50000000 for a blister pack of six as in larger chain stores. In some of those it was actually cheaper to drill a hole through a 10p and use that, than buy the washers.

Machine Mart never made it over here; I used to call into the one in Carlisle on the way to the ferry and stock up with stuff.