Spitfire Gas Ram Bonnet Struts

henryspit

Hi, i have been thinking about fitting some gas ram struts to the bonnet of myMk4 Spit, firstly i wondered what experience other people may have of this conversion, secondly my car has twin Weber 40 DCOE carbs and K & N air filters, does this complicate matters as regards to clearance with the gas struts?

Any advice would be appreciated, many thanks     Phil

I fitted the Club gas struts to my MK3 GT6 and was absolutely delighted with them. They allow the bonnet to be opened by one person without any worries about it twisting or distorting. The struts I believe should prevent, or certainly reduce the tendency for stress cracking in the headlamp area.

Phil,

The distance from the cylinder head to the outside of the air filter is 28.8 cm and the strut protrudes 2cm from the wheel arch. The ram strut fixes to the two holes in the middle of the lower wheel arch.If you need photos any more measurements let me know.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again to all of you that took time to help, looks like this project will have to go on the back burner for a while as Henry and i have more important issues, it seems Triumphs are just as good as Land Rovers when it comes to emptying my wallet rapidly!

HenrySpit

I fitted the ram struts to my GT6MK3 a couple of years back and would thoroughly recommend them for the following reasons:-

The bonnet opens even further with the rams than with the original stay.

The bonnet opens evenly without the previously mentioned twisting

The stay rattle when the bonnet is closed is eliminated

I also have HS6 SUs with adaptor plates and K&N pancake air filters fitted and haven't experienced any fouling issues, so with a bit of luck neither will you.

Cheers

Alan

• 4 months later...

Hi

Just purchased some of these from the club to fit my Mk1 GT6  Following the instructions, at the moment  I can't see any way to fit them to the chassis where the hinge bolt is - the bracket doe not fit in to the outline of the hinge and my hinge has an upturn on the front edge - When placed where shown it also fouls the freont of bonnet under lip. Any one got pictures of how they have fitted this bracket? I'm sure my hinges are standard !  

Thx

Here are some pictures of the issue  = basically there are two issues the lip om the hinge circa 3 mm high which the new part will have to sit on top of according to the fitting instruction and the bonnet fouling - The last picture shows the fouling issue - Even if the hinge was fitted under the bolt it would still catch

One option would be to cut along the edge of the plate sliding it under the hinge and bolting it down there  - this would loose the strength of the bracket but it could always be welded to the top of the hinge it would at least be flat to the surface of thew chassis. The instructions do mention packing for the second bolt but to my mid thats not a good engineering solution

Please let me know any thoughts or if you have fitted these yourself :)  I wish the instructions had better diagrams and pictures - Only other alternative is to return the kitpost-170-0-05287100-1436702988_thumb.jpgpost-170-0-89511200-1436703026_thumb.jpgpost-170-0-55037200-1436703081_thumb.jpgpost-170-0-96710200-1436703097_thumb.jpgpost-170-0-78716100-1436703585_thumb.jpg

Well if I am the first to fit these to a MK1 GT^ then so be it!  Engineering wise I think it best to fit the plates as flat as possible so underneath the hinge  - I will grind down and fettle them a little so they look right anf fit to the profile of the hinge at the front, then cut a slot into themot get the postition right and finally weld back up to the top of the original hinge - Will post a pic once done

Aidan

• 3 weeks later...

OK Pete talked with Garth, but for those interested in doing the same this is what I did

The bottom brackets were adjusted to fit neatly under the hinge

They were then bolts as per the instructions top bolt to the outer hinge bolt and bottom bolted to the chassis with a newly drilled hol, bolt and nylon nut

Then the bracket and hinge were welded along the back edge of the hinge and the leading edge of the bracket filling in the metal previously cut away (Using a SS welding rod (Not mild steel)

Weld ground down and all painted 

Pics:

post-170-0-94760700-1438630149_thumb.jpgpost-170-0-25644200-1438630205_thumb.jpgpost-170-0-60800200-1438630229_thumb.jpgpost-170-0-18952400-1438630247_thumb.jpgpost-170-0-82046400-1438630268_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Fitted the Club gas struts to my Mk3 GT6 at the weekend - very pleased with them. Actually, I fitted them over 2 weekends as the first attempt ended in failure as try as I might, I couldn't compress the struts the necessary inch to engage the top sockets with the ball joints: the action in the instructions where someone is pressing downwards with a length of timber... Quick tip - having spent £2.99 on an eBay ratchet strap, the job was completed in minutes!

Gully

• Haha 1

I had to buy a ratchet strap to get mine to fit too.  Maybe the piece of wood method works if you have a friend to help you but trying to compress and align on your own is next to impossible with a piece of wood/easy as pie with a strap.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Well done Gully, if I'm not mistaken you bought those on Twiddle Day? I'm embarrassed to say I haven't installed my purchase yet, plastic gearbox tunnel. Club shop made some money that day!

Yes, I did. Had to wait a couple of weeks for the brackets, but they work a treat.

I can understand waiting on doing the tunnel - having spent 6 months removing and refitting mine late last year and early this, the pain of the operation is very fresh! One for next time it needs to come out?

Gully