Spitfire Gas Ram Bonnet Struts

henryspit

Gully, I need to sort out my clutch slave cylinder, clutch getting a bit.....vague, needs bleeding, but bleed nipple stuck, no longer responsive to spanner. So, slave's gotta come out, which means tunnel off. So new tunnel on, but needs heat/noise foam stuff. One job leads to another! Bought some stuff, came, unexpectedly, from Hong Kong, not sure it's flame retardant, bit suspicious. Might try it in the oven. Might buy some different stuff.

Before you try the oven, put a match to it. Saves the problem of strange tasting food in the future. Seriously, I used 2mm Silentcoat sheets in the interior and fuel tank areas. Not cheap, but appears to work and not as thick as the original padding. In the body tub, I found that the felt stuff, stopped the seat runners as it was too thick. Should be ok on the gearbox side of the new tunnel cover (not sure if you class that as the inside or outside).

• 3 months later...

Hi all, I'm considering fitting these struts to my MkIII and have a couple of questions:

Are they likely they fit without any alterations such as AidenT required? I'm no welder so would have to find a friendly garage if it came to that.

I have a standard air filter box still fitted - is this OK or likely to be fouled?

I assume fitting is a one man job or will Mrs HJ be required to roll up her sleeves too - I'd need to bribe/blackmail her into that.

Thanks

Rob

Mk 3 Spit or Mk III GT6? If the latter, they are a simple fit with the standard air box. Only challenge I found was compressing each ram sufficiently to engage the fixing point - I used a ratchet strap. All a 1 person job.

Don't know about the Spit!

Gully

Like Gully I found you needed a ratchet strap too - preferably a wide-ish one as the amount of force it seemed to take to compress them gave me the fear of what would happen if the strap slipped off...

No idea how I'll go about releasing them if I ever need to take the bonnet off either!

I'm A little confused by this. When fitting them the bonnet is open and the struts are also extended and therefore not compressed 

I didn't have any problem fitting in this respect as far as I can remember anyway

Aidan

1 hour ago, AidanT said:

I'm A little confused by this. When fitting them the bonnet is open and the struts are also extended and therefore not compressed 

I didn't have any problem fitting in this respect as far as I can remember anyway

Aidan

On the Mk III GT6 the struts are always under some compression - the instructions with the Club kit suggest pulling down on the rams with a length of timber to locate them, but that didn't work for me, hence the ratchet strap.

Gully

A slight variation on the original discussion but how can you tell if the struts have failed? I bought my car with struts already on and must say I can open the bonnet myself but its not exactly easy and there is probably a slight twist until I get a grip in the centre. Not noticed any oil or pitting. Is it a case of removing and just checking resistance?

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/02/2018 at 7:03 PM, Gully said:

Mk 3 Spit or Mk III GT6? If the latter, they are a simple fit with the standard air box. Only challenge I found was compressing each ram sufficiently to engage the fixing point - I used a ratchet strap. All a 1 person job.

Don't know about the Spit!

Gully

Hi Gully,

GT6 Mk III, so all sounds good.

Thanks to you and everyone on the forum for your comments and help.

Cheers

Rob

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Could anyone who has one of the club bonnet ram kits please be so kind as to let me know the part number off the strut. Should begin NFFS or similar and they are made by Metrol.

Thanks in advance.

43 minutes ago, juppy said:

Could anyone who has one of the club bonnet ram kits please be so kind as to let me know the part number off the strut. Should begin NFFS or similar and they are made by Metrol.

Thanks in advance.

NS-FF-8-300-360N

Gully

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I’m fitting one of the tssc ram kits to my Gt6 mk3 and I’ve got a couple of questions:

1. I cannot get the bottom brackets to sit flush with the 1/4 valances. There is an 8mm gap even though the brackets are mounted on the chassis as per the photos in the instructions. Has any one else had this problem/got any suggestions. I’ve attached a photo - I’ve currently fitted spacers but the gap is not ideal.

2. The rams need compressing by about 3.5.cm to fit the upper mount. I’ll get a ratchet strap to do  this because I couldn’t get anywhere near that compression using a wooden block!  But I’m just wondering whether them being constantly under load when the bonnet is open will put strain on the hinges. has anyone had any problems?

Thanks,

Ant

94AF057F-90A0-4EEF-851E-6DBA6B7C7ED6.jpeg

C5759DC3-2415-4807-8E55-D82D551D7AB9.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestion of a ratchet strap. I just spent the last couple of hours pondering over how I could set up some sort of pulley arrangement to get enough purchase.  I have had to use a long lever even to compress the thing on its own. My weight was not enough.  I wonder if the springs are stronger with the latest batch. I also got mine from the club shop back in December. At least now I will sleep tonight !

• 10 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but has anyone fitted these to a fibreglass bonnet? Got a set of rams recently and thought that while I am prepping my steel one for painting etc, that I might try them out on the fibreglass one. I do suspect that the power in the rams will be too much for this, so thought I would check before ripping the bonnet/wheel arches apart!

42 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but has anyone fitted these to a fibreglass bonnet? Got a set of rams recently and thought that while I am prepping my steel one for painting etc, that I might try them out on the fibreglass one. I do suspect that the power in the rams will be too much for this, so thought I would check before ripping the bonnet/wheel arches apart!

Personally, I wouldn't fit them full stop !