Herald rear spring eye polybushes

I  purchased a pair of Polybushes to replace the worn bushes that fit in to the rear spring eye /vertical link.

The bushes themselves were easy enough to fit since they were the soft,  blue "comfort" version. However having spent hours trying to fit the metal sleeve -which then distorts (stretches) the bush I phoned the supplier to be told the sleeves aren't required. This was rather annoying given the time spent trying to fit them.

One thing occurs to me - without the metal sleeve the bush is a very loose fit around bolt  , surely this will result in rapid wear - particularly given that the bushes are so soft?

Stupidly I can't recall if the original rubber bush included a sleeve. Any thoughts?

Barry.

Paul is spot-on the bushes should have a metal sleeve and as you rightly say without them the bush will be history very soon.

I have attached the Polybush link and part 33A refers - I do not know what Spitfire you have but have gone for a 1500 as I assume all spring eyes have a metal sleeve when it comes to transverse springs. You can clearly see that each bush comes with a sleeve and I doubt very much that the colour of a Polybush will mean no sleeve required !!

http://www.polybush.co.uk/shop/triumph/spitfire-1500?attr=2|1977

The photo also confirms the sleeve requirement.

Regards.

Richard.

LS9_LI.jpg

Thanks Paul & Richard,

So - I now realise something that i wondered about when I first stripped out the old bush, there is an additional metal sleeve in the spring eye. I feel pretty stupid now!

I was fitting the polybush (and inner sleeve) into this- which would explain why the new bush won't fit with an inner sleeve.

I got the impression that the  supplier had heard before that the new bushes don't fit - but perhaps (like me) wasn't aware  that the outer sleeve needs to be removed first. 

Paul - any tips on removing the outer sleeve, it looks pretty solid?

Photo attached.

IMG_2236.jpg

Barry.

Do not be harsh on yourself, you will not be the first and certainly not the last.

With regard to removal, you could try a hacksaw. Unclip the blade from the handle, insert blade, reconnect and start sawing - a top & bottom cut should suffice and you can then tap the sleeve out. 

Alternatively if he spring is off the car, get the local garage to press them out - a tin of biscuits always goes down well as a thank you !!

Regards.

Richard.

Richards idea is how I remove stuborn bushes , they are just  mild steel and cut easily then with two cuts they just fall out

Only takes a few minutes and the spring is in the vice , as paul say pressing needs a  strong arm and a some faffing about to

align the spring , socket , vice and tea cup

If the spring is still on the car then a junior hacksaw will fit ok inside the wheel arch to saw the sleeve

Pete

Barry,

Don't beat yourself up, I did exactly the same. It was so tight I couldn't figure it was a removable item. I had exactly the same advice. Careful hacksaw and lever cut with driver or chisel. Came out a treat thanks to the forum gurus! I have to say I've got many T shirts as I am a mechanical novice. But the forum is very kind.

Don't be scared to ask, you can only be ridiculed!

Adrian

You're all so kind!

I've spoken to the supplier of the bushes and they've agreed to make sure that their salesman/advisors inform people that the outer sleeves  need to be removed and that the inner sleeves must always be fitted.

Hopefully no one else will make the same mistake now.

Right....next job on the list!

Barry

Due to my incompetence I posted this is another place. 

I’ve used one of these kits for getting the bushes out (and in) of my old Land Rover. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/27Pcs-Pull-and-Press-Sleeve-Tool-Kit-Set-Seal-Bearing-Cars-LCV-Bush-Removal-Tool-/173054321745

Works a treat. I actually borrowed it from a friend of mine.  

• 2 weeks later...