Water Pumps - Lifetime Guarantee

Hello.

Whilst waiting for the weather to warm by a degree or two, I have been searching through a number of magazines seeing what various companies are offering regarding work undertaken and guarantees. You may recall that very recently I flagged a thread about a water pump for my Vitesse - it's suitability has yet to be confirmed.

As such I contacted a company called EP Services, based in Wolverhampton WV2 2RJ - 01902.452.914

They have been in existence for over forty years and provide a Lifetime Guarantee on their comprehensive reconditioning service for all vehicle models of automotive water pumps. Interesting I thought, so gave them a call and pitched my Vitesse water pump as an example. The cost is £40 + postage and VAT; which bearing (excuse the pun) in mind the back-up of a comprehensive overhaul and the limitless guarantee they offer it probably works out very good VFM. Some pumps they keep in stock, but in the main they will do a 48hrs reconditioning turnaround on receipt of your old pump; I accept that there is a cost to despatch your pump to them unless you live nearby.

Taking in to consideration the unknown life expectancy of modern water pumps for classics these days (mine 10K) it may be the way forward to have your unit reconditioned when the time comes and then no further cost other than postage if the unit needs to go back. I get the impression from their director that the quality of their reconditioning is such that this situation is negligible.

I have no bias to the company, just thought it was worth pitching for the benefit of others perhaps.

Their web is currently being revamped, with the addition of a Forum in due course, but the address is www.ep-services.co.uk 

Regards.

Richard.

Richard

That's a good price!  When I looked I was quotes a silly price for a refurb as in three time the price of a new pump!

Just to hijack your thread a bit, do you know anyone who returns wiper motors? Think mine needs a re-wind

Aidan 

Hello Aidan.

Yes I was impressed with the price as well, I am very tempted to send my NOS unit back and just get the current one reconditioned.

I have just found an excellent auto electrician (ex-Lucas) who reconditions basically anything electric concerning vintage and classics. His name is Steve and his one-man band is called GS Autos; he has just reconditioned a rare Rover SD1 2000 (4 cylinder) starter motor for a friend - it was pure luck I stumbled on this chap. Steve is a mobile auto-electrician, lives in Honiton, travels the UK but keeps a workshop in Storrington West Sussex which is where he lived before moving. Oddly enough I asked him specifically about wiper motors and he said 99% he can do.

All my usual and unusual contacts could not get this type starter and some had not seen one for years - it looks run of the mill but the innards are not !!

You can contact him on 01404.43414 or mobile 07860.514.021 - give him my name and mention the SD1 starter and all will fall in to place !!

Here are a couple of photos before & after of the starter.

Hope that assists ??

Regards.

Richard.

DSC00350.JPG

DSC00351.JPG

DSC00353.JPG

DSC00357.JPG

DSC00362.JPG

DSC00363.JPG

Richard - that's excellent! I may send them an old Herald pump just to see how it turns out; I refurbished one a few years ago and while it's still working well, the other cars have the terrible modern 'sealed for life' units that I detest.

There's an online enquiry feature on their website so I'll ask them for details in a few minutes.

Hello Colin.

I spoke with them about the modern sealed for life units and surprise surprise, they are the ones that owners tend to send for refurbishment.

As per my previous response I am very tempted to send them the duff one on the car.

I will be interested to hear how you get on; my impression is that the company is very capable and must be very confident to offer such a guarantee.

Regards.

Richard.