Rotted boot riggers

I have a 1977 Triumph Spitfire- my first car, actually- which I'm considering restoring before my wife sells it for scrap to get it out of the garage.  I was stopped in my tracks by what I thought was a rotted chassis but realize in going into your forum that it is only the boot riggers, a feature only included in US market cars.  Am I correct that I could cut the two riggers off without sacrificing any of the frame's structural integrity?  I've shown the rot to a couple of car enthusiasts who know something about British sports cars and no one suggested I could do this. 

And while on the topic of restoration, any advice on a good source of information about the restoration process specific to a Spitfire is welcome (realizing how open ended this request is...).  Although I'm tempted to turn it over to a pro (and I definitely will for portions of the restoration), the final cost would likely be much more than the car is worth, even with the sentimental value added.  Plus, I think I'd enjoy the process if i did some of it myself.

I dont know the reason behind the usa requirement to fit the usa chassis with the additional support outriggers

There was some lodgic behind the design, be it crash protection or load carrying 

It you cut them off are you inviting some clever legislation eyes having a pop

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Courtesy of Wikipedia:-

The American market Spitfire 1500 is easily identified by the big plastic over-riders and wing mounted reflectors on the front and back wings. The US specification models up to 1978 still had chrome bumpers, but on the 1979 and 1980 models these were replaced by black rubber bumpers with built-in over-riders. Chassis extensions were also fitted under the boot to support the bumpers.

I think the answer lies here?

Pete

The boot riggers on the USA spec Spitfire chassis give a lot of support to the rear of the car, and give a vastly improved performance in the event of being rear ended.

If I could obtain a set, or even the drawings, then I would add them to my UK spec chassis next time I rebuilt the car.

80spitfiremountingbolts.jpg

On 01/04/2018 at 9:36 PM, KevinR said:

The boot riggers on the USA spec Spitfire chassis give a lot of support to the rear of the car, and give a vastly improved performance in the event of being rear ended.

If I could obtain a set, or even the drawings, then I would add them to my UK spec chassis next time I rebuilt the car.

80spitfiremountingbolts.jpg

Hi. That looks similar to the standard chassis on my Herald 13/60?. (The cross beam/support bars are part of the DIY rotor rig but will become a tow bracket when completed). I am surprised as I was expecting to see additional Outriggers.?

image.png

36 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

The  saloon chassis is quite different ,  spitty gt6g has short outriggers and no siderails, the uk spitty has no tail riggers , it stops at the diff crossmember area 

Like the turnover  becoming a tow bar rig   sounds a good plan 

Pete

Hi

You Like me, Can`t sleep in?.

I get the picture now, I have a Haynes, for the Herald. and one for the Vittese which I expect would have  shown the difference as it covers the GT6 too? If I had have looked!!. Do I take it from that, there is more "rigidity" built into the Spit "Tubs", thereby not requiring the supposed stiffness imparted by the design of the Herald chassis?, because without the rear outriggers, the Spit; boot is effectively "self supporting"?.

The Turnover rig, was a bit of "Chicken and Egg". I wanted potentially to use it (the 13/60) to tow my lightweight "recycling dump" trailer. When I got it welded up I realised that I could utilise it to fabricate a Rotator and save my Aged back, The remains of several old towing brackets which no one seems to want (no takers on E-Bay), Scaffold tube, the top section of two axle stands, and some Welding produced a serviceable Item, which won`t win any beauty contests, but what the hell, it saves me having to spend even more time on my knees than our Vicar.!

Pete