Buying a Triumph GT6 Mk3

Jetman15

Hi All,

I want your help and advice as I am buying my first classic car - a Triumph GT6 Mk3 - its a December 1973 model, in red with overdrive. Its been in dry storage for 20 years and has got body damage to the LHS, front panel, door and rear panel and some rust in the usual places. Inside is not too bad - just needs somes TLC. The previous owner has given lots of spares, including the new panels and doors.

The help I require is where should I start in terms of getting this baby back on to the road? Should I start stripping everything back or start with getting the engine started, dealing with the rust and replacing the panels? As stated, this is my first classic car, I do not have any experience of dealing with cars so any advice and tips before I do anything will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

You are going to get very mixed replies ! Personally i would sort the mechanicals first. That way you can drive it on a private space and see whats shot. When yhe bodyshell is off you have easy access to the defective bits. If you do all the bodywprk then find mech probs you will curse taking it all off again !

You are going to get very mixed replies ! Personally i would sort the mechanicals first. That way you can drive it on a private space and see whats shot. When yhe bodyshell is off you have easy access to the defective bits. If you do all the bodywprk then find mech probs you will curse taking it all off again !

Some of this depends on what aspects (none, some or all) you intend doing youself. 

Get the car home, get it up in the air so you can get a good idea of exactly wants needs doing to the body. Often rust lurks out of sight, but will need to be addressed. 

Then there is the ultimate goal. Do you want a showcar, trackday/rallycar, a tidy tourer or everyday car. Think carefully about that, people often complete a car and then realise it is not really what they wanted (typically building a fast road/trackday car that is too harsh and has a peaky engine)

However, there is nothing quite as pleasing as getting a car to run and at least move (if not brake!) under its own steam. It can be a real boost. But do take it easy, make sure everything is OK before trying to start it etc.

Thank you all for your advice.

@Clive, I want to make this GT6 a car for weekend drives.

In terms of tools that I will need - what tools should I invest in and where's the best place to get it from?

I am in Barking, East London/Essex border - anyone else with a GT6 around there, who can possibly help and advise?

If doing the bodywork yourself, get some tuition if possible. There are often evening classes for welding and so on. 

As to mechanical tools, as a start a set of AF spanners, plus socket set and screwdrivers. Pliers, wirecutters and some mole/vise grips.

If you are feeling flushed you can buy new, Hkalfords professional stuff is actually pretty good and well priced when on offer.

Ask though before spending big amounts!

I would also invest in an angle grinder (115mm/4 1/2") with thin cutting discs, some grinding discs and some flapwheels. Maybe wire brush attachment too. Along with a full face mask

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p53860   or similar.

Do not under any circumstances buy a silverline grinder. I would spend £50 and get a makita or Bosch professional. Much nicer to use, last much much longer.

As to help/advice, join a Triumph club with a meeting near to you. They will help/advise and probably offer assistance in exchange for biscuits/bacon/tea etc.

Jetman,

You are not too far from the Essex group. Try Allan and Janet Jannaway on 01375 672072 as they meet in Brentwood. Getting to know other Triumph owners will be a great help.

Good luck from a Mark 1 owner,

NeilF