Vitesse Mk2 rear brake cylinder correct part number

Robin

I'm looking to replace both rear brake cylinders on my Vitesse. According to the Stanpart parts catalogue the part number is 146028  but an online supplier is offering a Borg and Beck version stating that it's the equivalent to the 'Original Part Number 64673476'.  Rimmer and James Paddock has them under part number GWC1208 (3/4" Bore which I'm assuming is correct?).

I've tried the TSSC shop but they don't seem to stock rear brake cylinders. 

Can anyone confirm which is the correct part number ?

Many thanks

Robin

Hello Robin.

GWC1208 is the correct part for the Mk2 Vitesse.

I normally get a lot of my hydraulic stuff from this seller and have never had any issues - very helpful and sets out his information well:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-HERALD-SPITFIRE-I-III-VITESSE-GT6-REAR-WHEEL-CYLINDERS-KIT/371257751842?hash=item5670afb922:g:lK4AAOSwqu9U3MYk

Regards.

Richard.

Many manuals are unclear which horseshoe clip goes where

The  curved one sits againts the back plate the flate one fits over the top of it 

They generally only fit one way   cant remember but if is resists fitting front to back  change the fitting to back toward the front

Some repro horshoes have a very poor dimple and hole that will not locate fully, the best are the black oiled spring material

Dont as we found on one car a cylinder partially held in with a tywrap  no horseshoes at all.

Pete

One of the biggest problems with securing rear brake cylinders is not getting the 2x U clips to seat correctly; other than that it should be straight forward.

If you use the GWC1208 reference, Robin, you will be fine and can then of course make enquiries with stockists accordingly.

Coincidently I have just replaced my rear cylinders via the above seller.

Good luck.

Regards.

Richard.

• 2 months later...

Hi Again

I finally got round to changing the rear brake cylinder on my vitesse but what a nightmare!

As Richard said the biggest problem was fitting the 2 x U clips as there doesn’t seem to be enough room between the handbrake arm and the body of the cylinder. After about 2 hrs of fiddling I finally got them on but more by luck and a bit of brute force rather than anything else. The Haynes manual doesn’t offer much help - is there a correct way to do this?

Thanks

robin

As richards pic shows the short curved just about fits from the lever side the flat U goes over the top of it from the rear

The only advise is its much harder to do in the dark

You could  do what we found , no clips  just a  cable tie,  and yes it had pulled through and the cyl machined up by the drum!!! 

Certainly Not recommended

Next time will be quicker,  they are a challenge.  Its either pops on first time or faces you down with frustation

Pete 

Hi Pete - thanks for the encouragement.

This is the way I did it but not sure if it’s right. With the rear driver side drum off I removed the brake shoes and disconnected the brake line to the cylinder. I then took off the rubber cover and undid the bolt holding the handbrake lever. I managed to push out the top male (?) u clip followed by the female (? ) u clip. I then pulled out the brake cylinder. So far so good.

I fitted the new brake cylinder and new rubber cover and then loosely connected the brake line - this is when the fun started. Fitting The female u clip was easy but there wasn’t enough room between the cylinder and the handbrake lever to fit the male u clip. I ended up putting as much space between the cylinder and lever as was possible and then jamming the male u clip in between the two. I then managed to get a screwdriver onto the clip edge and then tapped it down onto the female u clip with a hammer. Took ages but finally got it on. Like I said I don’t think this is the right way to do it but I could’t figure out another solution.

In Richard’s picture it looks as though there are three u clips but i’ve only got two - One with two holes at the end  and one with two dimples. I put the u clip with the holes ( female ?) on first and the one with dimples (male ?) on top. It seems pretty secure but is that correct?

thanks , Robin

9C31A0B7-1D19-48F6-B4D7-4888F836FA92.jpeg

I have a fight with these , old knees and varifocals dont help

The short curved one holds the cyl to the backplate dimples facing inboard, the flat one goes over the top and the dimples locate in the holes of the flat clip this  does give a rattling good fit !!!

Then boot goes over the lot  dont get decieved by the boot having a imprint of   the  flat clip   that is a bum steer, 

Pete

Hi Pete

i think i’ve fitted mine the other way around - flat one with holes on first and then curved one with dimples on top. It seems pretty secure and because I had such a fight getting it on I’m hoping it’s ok.

Pete is right - the curved on goes on first, from the end with the handbrake lever, and with the curve towards the backplate in the middle. Then the flat one goes on top of that. This arrangement minimises the friction surface against the backplate, because the cylinder has to be able to slide so that the shoes work equally.

• 2 months later...

I finally got around to re-adjusting my rear brakes this afternoon.

Dead easy with the wheels off and the 1/4 drive end of a socket - thanks Pete :) 

But whilst I was at it, I dropped the one side drum off as it didn't feel "right" - and thought the piston looked a bit far from the backplate - so removed the rubber cover to find one of the clips missing ? -as it a happens I bought a set from Burgess (I think!) so dropped those in - went in dead easy - and have proper dimples that "snapped" as the flat plate went in :) Checked the other side and they were almost falling out - so replaced those too.

I then adjusted the bonnet - but I'll not go there. But is back together.

Got to test drive it - but the hand brake feels better!