Adding Smiths 2” Dials

Blitz

I have a vacuum gauge flying back and forth as Colin says, it's my favourite. You can set you're timing with it. Just as you do it by ear, turning the dizzy for maximum revs and back a gnats, turn the dizzy for maximum vacuum and back 1, it's the same thing. 

db

If I was going for 3 additional gauges I'd choose a voltmeter, ammeter and oil pressure gauge. Ditch the clock - it'll just sit there draining your battery and you'll either have a phone with the time on it or a watch anyway!

Gully

Gully,

Ammeters are problematic ALL the current goes through the gauge and the wires get HOT. When I broke down and had to pull the car onto the verge with the starter motor I thought the wires were going to melt! 

In the 70s I had a Smiths shunt ammeter which was a small resistance high current resistor with a volt meter across it calibrated to current, but they don't seem to make that any more.  Unless I can find another I'm going to have to make do with a volt meter, which is not good. They tell you different things, the volt meter tells you the state of the battery, the ammeter the state of the charging mechanism. If you only have the volt meter, by the time you notice it's dropping off, it's too late!

Mark, 6 is the absolute minimum! I'm thinking about a dual water temp/oil pressure to make room for something else.

Doug

• Haha 1

Hi,

I would not fit a clock unless there was a spare hole that needed plugging.

Oil temperature is more intuitive than oil pressure.  Fit a higher cut in oil pressure switch.

Mechanical oil pressure nylon hose longevity? Psssh. Ends blowing off; yes. Fit electronic gauge and sender.

Mechanical water temperature gauge is useful as reads temp with ignition off. 

AFR gauge is very useful for the money and expense to fit.

Amps +/- is good if Hall effect and sensor fitted in correct place.

Volts can be useful, certainly better than a clock.

Analogue gauges with added digital display are a nice addition.; Easy to remember a number.

270 degree sweep preferred over standard 90? degree sweep.

Additionally,

Can somebody tell me the vertical distance between the metalwork of the centre console dash as I want to fit a multi-gauge display?

Cheers,

Iain.

Hi Doug,

A quick google shows this:

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?489572-Anybody-used-a-Hall-Effect-ammeter

Now, emm, If I need to find a link for one that is analogue and 2"; that might be more difficult...

EBay has a lot of dc current transformers if you search.

Cheers,

Iain.

Edit: By best place i mean; clamped around all cables going into the battery +ve terminal, excluding the starter motor cable.

Edited by spitfire6
EDIT

Mark,

Reading the instruction for fitting to an alternator it appears to be a whole current device. And those cables are heavier duty, the same as on mine. I don't think they're enough, but that's what came with the kit when I fitted it in the late 70s (IIR :wacko:)

Doug

• Like 1

Don't get an oil pressure gauge; you'll just spend all your time worrying about your oil pressure!

Cheers, Richard

<EDIT> Damn, I didn't see the next page at the bottom of the screen and thought I was responding to several "get oil pressure" posts.

3 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Mark,

Reading the instruction for fitting to an alternator it appears to be a whole current device. And those cables are heavier duty, the same as on mine. I don't think they're enough, but that's what came with the kit when I fitted it in the late 70s (IIR :wacko:)

Doug

I was reading on my phone and thought it suggested there were some tappings off the alternator for the current - but confess thought that would be a bit optimistic! 

3 hours ago, Blitz said:

But then I won't know what time it dropped oil all over the road :rolleyes:

Flawless logic there!

On 3/15/2018 at 11:07 PM, dougbgt6 said:

Andy Cooke (IIRC?) pointed out plastic pipes get old and brittle and if it breaks, there goes your oil, bearings and every thing. :o A very weak link.

Doug

Presumably that would show up on a gauge somewhere. ;) I