Nautam's Spitfire Mark IV

Hi all...

I have JY Classics coming to take her away this weekend for recommissioning so in readiness, I gave her a little clean while in the garage...still can't move her as I rear drum is still seized...I also got a Heritage Certificate and the car colour states it is Carmine Red...Anyway, discovered a few scratches on her plus I think she was painted and not resprayed judging by the pictures below...Is this colour Carmine or Damsen...I can't tell....

I also got a new battery from Halfords so I thought I'd check the electrics, lights etc...unfortunately, when I connected the battery, some smoke started coming from the alternator at which point I immediately disconnected the battery!

I suspect the wiring will need to be checked/replaced and probably a new alternator but lets see what comes out of the initial assessment....

Ahh, the joys of owning an old classic!!

Will keep you posted...

Nautam

IMG_8986.JPG

IMG_8987.JPG

IMG_8988.JPG

IMG_8989.JPG

Also, put a new spring on the clutch pedal, but the clutch pedal still seems limp...I can change the gears and I manually turned the rear wheel whilst in fourth gear and noticed the engine turned over as I could see the fan turning...I suppose this means that at least the engine hasn't seized...put some oil in her and manually turned her over again...

I suspect the clutch system will definitely need an overhaul...amongst other things!

Nautam

Nautam,

My alternator did that when my son-in-law "helped" me by putting my flat battery on charge. I reconnected it and the alternator went phut! He'd reverse charged the battery. I hope you've not put the battery in back to front or got the wrong one. It sounds like you've fried the alternator diodes. Easy and cheap enough to fix, if you're handy with a soldering iron.

Doug

Thanks Pete....Will check tonight and see whether I fried the electrics or not...hopefully by putting in the battery the wrong way around, nothing too serious has happened apart from the alternator issue...will not start her as the fuel may be stale and don't want to cause more damage...lets see if the lights, radio, wipers work or not.

Nautam

Well this lucky Pierre tested the lights, indicators and radio and they all worked including full beam...Only problem was the indicators didn't flash...they just stayed on....I liked the green lights on the speedo and rev counter dials too..looked great!...will look better after a clean though...apologies for the blurred image but you hopefully you get the point...

Nautam

IMG_8990.JPG

IMG_8992.JPG

• Like 1

Nautam,

Yes, love the green light. Last year I bought a radio recommended by Colin which let you set it's facia light to the exact Triumph green colour.

My gauge lights, although green, are a bit dim and I'm thinking about green LEDs.

Doug

Hi all...well she's gone to be assessed....Im looking to get her MOTed for my peace of mind plus it will be the last time this happens after May of this year I think..lets see what comes back...fearing the worst regarding the chassis....will keep you posted on the next plan of action...

Btw her colour is Damsen Red...will get her resprayed to Charmine Red as this was her original colour when she let the factory...Does anyone have a Charmine Red Spitty so I can compare colours at all?....will probably get the respray done when and if time and budget allows...

Www its so exciting!

Nautam

IMG_8994.JPG

Hi all..

Well I have had the car assessed...floors and sills all ok and chassis is good which is a relief!...My main problem is the mechanicals so the following will need to be overhauled:

1. Front Suspension

2. Rear Suspension

3. Brakes

4. Differential Seals

5. Fuel Pipes

6. Clutch Hydraulics

I suppose these are the most important things to sort out as they are all safety related when driving the car. I will be going to the garage on Saturday to get more details and the work involved to get her roadworthy again...pics to follow at some point.

Nautam

Doug

Yes diff and gearbox leaking too...I may get the garage to do all this as I don't have the tools, time or  expertise to tackle this on my own and will get a quote. Will check out the forum on each point and decide whether I can do this on my own or not.

Ideally what I want to do is get it running to MOT level, then tackle odds and sods as I go along...at least I can drive it over the summer when or if it comes!

Nautam

all the diff seals can be done diy on the car , when they say suspension  just what, are they talking trunnions, bearing bushes or what. find out fairly exactly what the hech they are 

worried about  then ask here to fing if its easy ...most jobs are simple with a little thought  .

pete

Yes. Definitely worth about the details of what is wrong to post on here (even if paying someone to do the work). Lot's of inside info (tips/tricks) and younger folk in the trade seem brought up on replacing. rather than fixing if you get the work done.

Also advisories. Usually on my vehicles, more than fails. Worth quantifying with yourself (will it be failing soon in my mileage etc/will it cause more expense, damage if not sorted soon/how dangerous is this etc).

Iv'e had some advisories go on year after year, and also advisories never mentioned again.

Also get more advice on fail stuff if not sure.  A council Mot bloke admitted it can be subjective.

I'm not saying it's a minefield out there, but worth looking into if your not totally sure.

Cheers, Dave

Edited by daverclasper

• 2 weeks later...

GetFileAttachment?id=AQMkADAwATZiZmYAZC1hYQA0ZC1kYTUyLTAwAi0wMAoARgAAA3dx1FddR0hCgBdAEv5RFygHAPI1my5HoCFNm%2F9CvpbEz7gAAVpYKo0AAADyNZsuR6AhTZv%2FQr6WxM%2B4AAF0UwGUAAAAARIAEABA6i8afBHDTa%2FdysJkH%2FSd&X-OWA-CANARY=XLi4_yHXc0WQMnE9K7VnqUBpro1ymdUYfgHJXRFsBTUtxrj9Z4b1VXaYgtRoLmB-6J-dPtXEnBk.&token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsIng1dCI6IkJnRDU5blJpQnpmbk5BVGloOFJhZ1l5M3pyZyJ9.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.IiTCGG4pMTi9gJNULYkjshhDH7i6dEbEAPtqLqy8e9PXutgRVeKsQrUqOKm2x47W5Qt7hVzriico4M-cJWeyRyYeNVoazsL2Dv_Le2OhMMeR6EuqwpRpElCQOYBETq3cu1IwTKxqfFsBDV2zFKGbik6X6Zwsw6tPI5V2ghtZeZb8D-Ok0D5_q9GZbh_j703ewB8Tr50RenOstDn3NgU_nTxSuE0ArU3K7dlWaZF0ZFpDs9OVuSyi4_-j5iTWmZX8-JE9vW4qNgyASV9oiYaQBi5_KFssUx3nmINc83qhl8rgfD8X4OZogef9_mky0XJ93FTtKpCUpVK2NBjXCGjgew&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1&isImagePreview=True

Hi All

Just a quick update on re-commissioning her....My diff is leaking so this has taken it apart for an overhaul so new seals and output bearings can be put in...I can't do this myself as its a bit tricky and quite frankly I don't have the tools either...looks a bit messy too with all the oil etc...plus the diff is quite heavy I believe...

My chassis and sills are good so that's a big relief...plus the clutch has not seized so again a relief.

Brakes, suspension and fuel lines will be checked as I want to get her to MOT standard especially after she has been sitting around for so long...The car starts so engine is not seized which is great.

Over the years I saved up a bit of a budget but I want to do some bits and pieces myself...in that way I understand the car and will try and tackle stuff that's not too difficult...

I'd rather keep her as original as I can rather than replacing stuff so once she comes back I will tackle, clean, mend, paint and try to do little bits and pieces as I go along.

Saw the twiddle day which will be helpful for a complete novice like me but need to check availability to attend...ie will wifey agree...who knows?

All looking good so far with her...(The car that is!)

Nautam

Just out of interest, what do you guys use to treat surface rust?...I want to protect the underneath of the car, chassis, anti-roll bar etc.

I suppose the idea would be to rub down the affected area with a wire brush then treat appropriately but what would you use?

I have seen stuff that you can paint on the rust and it treats it so it becomes hard and then you paint over with Hammerite.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Regards

Nautam