Nautam's Spitfire Mark IV

I used a wallpaper overlap roller to push the silent coat down. They are available from DIY shops and are fairly cheap. Like a small paint roller but hard plastic (not the foam 'behind the radiator' roller). Saves pushing in with the thumbs and gives a nice moulded finish. Not that it really matters as it will be under the carpet, but there are standards!

+1 on that one Badwolf, makes more difference than you think. Wallpapering scissors are good for cutting foil/foam and carpet too but that's a bit naughty really because they're meant to be kept in best condition for their job. 

On a similar topic, if you're gluing carpet down it's almost inevitable that you get some contact adhesive showing at some edges. To get rid of it, scrub the edge with some thinners on a carpet offcut. Thinners shifts the glue and the carpet fibres stick to whatever is left. Don't use too much thinners or it will soak the edge as break down the glue you actually want in there. (guess what I've been doing today :rolleyes:

Evostik glue remover is great for shifting alot of things (also lighter fuel), glue, certain inks and those annoying bar code price lables that peel off... but don't. Test it before use, as it disolves some plastics. Don't breath the vapour... see posts about home brew!!!

Thanks for the tips guys...I don't think I'll put any insulation down as the sounds and smells are what make driving the car fun!

Once this world cup business is out of the way, will try the Velcro route to keep the carpets from moving and will glue down the other bits like sills etc.

Will advise how I get on...thanks for the thinners tip Shawn...will need to get rid of stubborn old glue on the wheel arches.

Regards

Nautam

On 6/18/2018 at 9:40 AM, Nautam Mistry said:

I don't think I'll put any insulation down as the sounds and smells are what make driving the car fun

There’s certainly plenty of sound and smell left. It's a bit more civilised but still a million miles from being a modern experience.