Vitesse MK2 Brake Light Switch removal. Help Please

Freyasgrandad

Hi everyone after a year out due to a serious spinal injury In have got back to working on my cars and run into a problem straight away.

In the course of fitting a new carpet set I have found that the Brake Light Switch has been broken beyond all hope of even a bodge.

My problem is that there appears to be nothing to grip onto to unscrew it from the bracket other than a thin plastic disc.

The manual isn't any help so has anyone removed one of these and can tell me is there a lock nut on the pedal side of the bracket or can I drift out the centre and use a stud extractor to remove the bugger?

Many thanks

Steve

in general there is a nut  which should also act as the pedal stop, 

If the plastic switch plunger is  all that the pedal rgeturns too then it punches the switch to pieces very rapidly

These nasty switches were used on many vehicles it not triumph specific

We used this on trucks and the design had a deep nut so the nut holds the pedal not the plunger 

Thre will be better alternatives out there 

Cant search much as im away in france 

Pete

Thanks Paul the picture makes it very clear. From the removal instructions in the manual I assumed that the nut was welded to the bracket. I shall hopefully be able to loosen the nut enough to turn what's left of the switch with my fingers.

Thanks guys for all the adverts but I have a replacement switch already which is sadly of the plastic variety.

Pete, on my car there is a separate pedal stop built into the bracket.

Steve

Thanks everyone, I have replaced my switch today. Both the broken switch and my replacement are made of plastic/nylon and on both the flat was not very well defined and this made both removal and replacement a real pain. All done now though and yes the brake lights do work!

Steve

On 3/16/2018 at 9:36 PM, Darren Groves said:

The club shop do sell a decent alternative made by Cambiare, not on shop website that I can see.

Yes, that's strange as I'm sure they advertised them in the Courier some time ago.

Just for devilment I'm going to use the hydraulic switch system on my 1200... because it's there.... but with provision for the pedal switch in case things go pear-shaped.