GT6 engine on eBay worthwhile spare?

AidanT

2 hours ago, AidanT said:

Well missed out on one I was looking for but I'm sure there  will be others. Can I ask you all a question. What price range should I be really looking at ?

Aidan

Suppose I should put a parts wanted request in!

I thought the £116 was a fair price , the other engine is currently £82 auction ending this evening . Prices are moving 10 % plus each year now so placing an ad with TSSC is the way to go . That’s how I found my spare engine . 2 Vitesse / Herald doors went for £200 on eBay today and they needed work 

Paul 

Aidan.

Is this "out-in-all weather conditions" engine unit really the way forward for your quest ??

I have to say if it went for £50 I doubt I'd touch it.

As with all these things it is a waiting game, BUT the correct unit will turn up in due course. Paul's suggestion on a wanted ad is certainly a sound idea - not everybody deals on EBay and another TSSC member may well have what you are looking for.

Purely my opinion and looking at it from a practical point of view.

Regards.

Richard. 

1 minute ago, classiclife said:

Aidan.

Is this "out-in-all weather conditions" engine unit really the way forward for your quest ??

As with all these things it is a waiting game, BUT the correct unit will turn up in due course. Paul's suggestion on a wanted ad is certainly a sound idea - not everybody deals on EBay and another TSSC member may well have what you are looking for.

Regards.

Richard. 

1 minute ago, classiclife said:

Aidan.

Regards.

Richard. 

Hi Richard., the out in all weather is currently £82 , the £116 is a mk2 Vitesse and looked after, no carbs dizzy 

Paul 

Sorry Paul, the point I am making is that if the current £82 engine was a buy it now for £50 or less, I'd personally give it a miss no matter what the price.

Regards.

Richard.

As the 82 pound one I'd a mk3 it would not fit what I am looking for an I agree if wouldn't be worth more than 50

I will put an item in the wanted list to see if anyone has a spare sitting around Found that shipping from anywhere in England is around  £50 and o don't think that's too bad

Might try some trusted scrappies to

Aidan

According to the paperwork, my car was fitted with a "new block retaining original pistons/crankshaft" in 1981 but the pistons are domed in an early GT6. 

I suspect it's a cobbled up engine. 

How can I tell if the right bits have been used?  i.e. late block and head with the domed pistons I know I've got. 

the only change to the block was adding a recess to support the gasket fire rings ,  the  HG will have a  small tab sticking out the back of the head to identify as recessed.

so the block wont have any effect on flat top shallow head / domed top deep head

so long as you dont have domed and shallow head mixed up. , gives far too high comp ratio,  thats assuming the domes dont wack the  shallow chamber 

i dont know about that idea.

Pete

Many thanks. It's some time since I had the head off and can't remember if there was any recess for the gasket but I've suspected I have a low compression ratio. Even though the engine has good compression, the engine spins over very fast compared to others I own. 

just look down behind the rocker cover at the gasket  seam , if theres a small rectangular tab showing its got recessed bores 

if its not then its a flat faced block ,   it cant have the wrong gasket as that wont get you off the drive  without serious leaking coolant 

if you measure the depth of the head (outside thickness)  we can confirm what you have   plus any casting numbers may help .

Pete

Seems an odd engine. Has the 516816 head, which is a deep, 2.5 head and with the flat top pistons would give 7:1 CR in a 2 litre.

Other options would be the engine has been stroked, checking the sump for extra clearance bulges could add to that theory. Or it could have been heavily skimmed to bring CR up to something sensible. The head was originally 3.4" deep.

John, that engine, if a 2 litre, could easily become a 2.5 suitable for TR5/6. Just a crank and piston swap....maybe cam, depending on what is in there.

I did see it but I'm hopefully all sorted now (keeping fingers crossed)  Just waiting for the supplier to call me back 

Did you see the early KC GT6 engine? It went for only 67 pounds I guess it would have been suitable for my mk1 but from what was said above I decided best to stay away. Maybe the price it sold for represents that

Aidan

Looks like an early GT6 Mk3 engine which is the same as the Mk2. However, as Clive said it does have a 2.5 PI head. As far as I know these engines could not be stroked out to 2.5. Only the later GT6 engines, KE10001 on, which had a common block with the 2.5.

Maybe the head has been skimmed?

Dave

Visited the chap this morning and had a look at the engine, seems very tidy and he did have it in his old GT6 but then went for another engine to replace this in order to race the car. He does not know much about it , regarding being stroked or head skim but does say it runs very nicely and goes very well. IIRC he got it from someone via the TSSC.

He did say the head is 3.4

Decent chap, very enthusiastic about Triumphs and an ex-TSSC member.

Family commitments has meant giving up the car for bikes, tents and other mundane items !!

Where does this engine rank with regard to potential 6cyl engine swaps ??

Regards.

Richard.