STEERING COLUMN MOVEMENT

thanks Peter, I don't suppose you could explain how to fix it {bearing in mind that i'm not a mechanic}. I'm getting increasingly disheartened by this rebuild. You don't have a magic wand that I could borrow do you?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Regards, Rob

Theres two problems the outer  olumn tube will adjust in its dash board clamp, so you can position it where you like within reason

The inner shaft has this slip clamp just below where  the outer tube ends ,  there is a detail in the manual, but its flat plate with a hex key grub screw with a lock nut in the plate , the plate is  secured  with bolts , you undo the lock nut and grub screw the shaft will move inward or outward,  when its where you want it , give the grub screw a good nip up and lock it, dont wraunch it up , its supposed to slip in impact 

Rather than bust your ribcage.

If that helps...............   where are you .????

Hello Peter,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             thanks for the advice. I think I know what you are saying and will have a go at it as soon as I get chance (have to work unfortunately). My location is Doncaster, S.Yorks, quite a trek from where you are but thanks for asking. I will let you know how I get on.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Regards, Rob

Hi Pete, your advice was spot on so thank you very much as steering column is now sorted. Next job is wiring. I don't suppose you know if a mk1 loom is the same as a mk2 one? Knowing my luck they'll be totally different and I have one for a mk1. Oh well, these things are sent to try us. Thanks again for your help with the column.                                                                                  Regards, Rob

Hi Pete, I think the looms must be different because the dash on my mk2 has more dials on it than the one on my mk1. I should have checked this first. I'm going to order a new one as fitting the old one would no doubt cause problems in the long run and it will be easier to fit it while my car is at the stage of the rebuild that it is. Still got plenty to be getting on with. I have a complete new interior for the mk1 and I'm going to fit that to my mk2. i know it's not to original specification but it will suit the colour of the car really well. The only thing is I will have to make a hole in each of the rear side panels for the seat belts to pass through. Sacrilege eh? Wish me luck.                                                                                                                                                                                                          Cheers, Rob