Guess that sound!

leon.halliwell

Leon,

Yes certainly sounds like tappets! Easily adjusted, do it with the engine cold. Rule of 9 for a 4 cylinder. That is with number 1 fully down adjust number 8. With number 2 fully down adjust number 7. And so on. They don't go down in numeric order, but which ever goes down subtract it from 9 and adjust that one.

Doug

I agree tappets.

I learnt something at the Twiddle day about this. Pete (the guru) showed how you can actually adjust the tappets while the rocker cover is off and the engine is running!  Mine were all well adjusted, but I still had a tappet noise. Pete on the day went though each valve sliding a thin feeler gauge under each tappet  until suddenly there was peace!  Engine stopped, that particular tappet was tightened and hey ho sorted. Very little noise at all from my 6 pot  - it just purrs.

Aidan

• Thanks 1

My uncle told me you should be able to move the belt a total of 1 inch from pushing in to pulling out. 

Always followed that since:D and not had a problem

Agree with Doug still tappity If your feeling brave see my suggestion above  when you have done it once you wonder why you never did it before! 

Aidan 

Edited by AidanT

Aidan,

Yes half an inch in either direction, but to be honest I've never been able to get it tighter than that! :lol:

And, yes Uncle Pete's "while it's running method", Like you I saw him do it, but how did he manage to insert the feeler gauge when the rocker's thumping up and down so fast? Black magic! :o

db

having looked at the alternator it seems to be at max travel, i've got almost an inch of travel each way on the belt so thats not right. By the looks of it the PO replaced the alternator and fitted a new belt so probably just the wrong size, ill just purchase one a touch shorter.

next job is try and find some bigger circlips to go in my U/J's any tips??

oversize  thicker circlips made for the job from canley classics 

if changing do make sure the clip is fully    fully home in its groove,  if not it will pop out on road test and then you get a right racket...even destruction   

do the black magic tappet gap test with an old feeler ,   

Pete