First Drive

Blitz

Car delivered on Tue and first drive today. 

Starts no problem and idles fine. Full throttle is ok too but a dodgy Kangaroo spot in the middle. All in all better than expected. 

Brakes seem fine as does the steering and suspension. No engine temp problems so far. Dials and electrics seem ok. 

Few niggly bits to sort out. One of the hard top front bolts won’t tighten. Boot lock won’t lock and the passenger door lock doesn’t want to work properly. I screwed the inside catch up tight to prevent it lifting up as a temp fix.

boady work looks good apart from some cracks in the paint work around parts I guess are prone to flexing.

shes going to Yorkshire Triumphs once they have finished moving premises, for a good luck over and service. 

FE60B58F-4B42-4EFF-A38E-2A59306B3552.jpeg

EFACF3D3-316E-4F59-B8CF-625D0CA1C7D3.jpeg

Thanks

oh passinger seat back seems to have snapped somewhere too. I blamed the other half for that:D

its noisy and everything rattles and vibrates like it’s at warp 9 constantly. Proper classic B)

loving her so far 

well you seem to have got a grasp of the smiles and odd despairs with getting to love you car, it will as you have found put a wide smile on 

even when its playing up a little

I would start withnyour kangaroo  and check the carb dashpots are filled with 20 /50 engine oil these are dampers and any thin oil will give you a weak mixfure on trying to accelerate

Spitty sear backs are a regular fractured problem a bit of de trim and weld a couple of reinforcing plates welded on where the back rest tube supports break will resolve it cheaply.

Pete

Thanks Pete. Completely new to these carbs. Got them on my motorbike but nothing like these things. Thanks for the tip I'll read up and work out how to fill them up and where to put the oil. 

Oh yes big smiles all round. As said previously been waiting 25 years to get my Spitfire and take it off my bucket list. 

Ok Haynes manual out. Looking at carb diagram. Is their a drainage screw to remove the oil ? From the dashpot. I see a screw but it's labeled up as screw so no bloody help there. 

Assume removing dashpot will release oil all over the carb body ?

First of many noob questions 

The normal way of removing the oil from the dashpot, firstly remove the damper, is either to carefully suck it out using a straw. or remove the piston and turn it up side down and drain it out.

The screw on the side of the piston retains the mixture needle.

Dave

a short tube attached to the wifes turkey baster always comes in handy for removing  the unwanted .

if you want to remove the top cover screws , the oil is ( doesnt hold many spoon fulls ) in the piston centre tube  you can as dave suggests lift and remove the air piston  tip it out on your shoes , you can look see if the needles are all in the same place , the needle fixing boss level with the base of the air piston,  another look inside you will see the jet, they should both be at the same level .

with all SU the choke can stick and hold the jet down making normal running very rich,  its worth pull the choke and return it

poke a finger under the carb and press/check the jet body has accutally returned back up to its adjusting nut

the nasty linkage is notorius for sticking the jet down , even when the control has been push back in.

Pete

Ok thanks for the info. I get the general gist. I'll take a look inside and see if I can spot any obvious issues although they will have to be obvious :rolleyes:

In for a penny in for a pound springs to mind. 

29 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Nooo! If it's not been done for a while there may not be any oil! As Dave says, but I don't fancy sucking, leaves a nasty taste,  so piston out and invert.  I have Strombergs and they seem to need topping up monthly!

Doug

Doug, You use a clear straw and stop sucking when the oil reaches near the top. I refrained from making are comment about sucking!

Dave

4 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Nooo! If it's not been done for a while there may not be any oil! As Dave says, but I don't fancy sucking, leaves a nasty taste,  so piston out and invert.  I have Strombergs and they seem to need topping up monthly!

Doug

Topping up monthly? I dream of topping up my dash-pots as infrequently as that, and that's after changing the o-rings! I wonder if Redex is 20 weight? I could use that to calm down the carb piston whilst dosing the engine with upper cylinder lubricant (or whatever Redex claims to do) 

Wayne

• Haha 1

The dash pots had oil in but I emptied it and put in 20/40. Needles look very clean but a bit of grime here and there so I cleaned that up. Jets look in the right place when pulling the choke etc but I oiled the mechanisms and the choke leaver seems to work better. Didn’t get too adventurous doing anything else in case I made things worse (easy for me to do)

put in some redex and run her with that whilst stationary. Things seem fine but hopefully a test drive tomorrow will tell. I know carbs can seem to work great until the engine is actually under load so not counting any Chickens yet. 

Dave said that,  are on the pils  ner

Niice to be back in blighty

Grant,  one easy idea for under load misfire is the sparkplug  ngk  bp6es is the most normal

Never any with any R in the suffix  ,  if they are of unknown age just renew them...  life and soul of the car.

Dont bother with any silly one's  stick to basics 

• Thanks 1

Ok bit of an update. Took her for a spin whilst the weather was good. 

Less Kangaroo now once heated up. Being driving like Miss Daisy but opened her up today. Revs no problem whilst stationary but will not go above 4K revs whilst driving. Like hitting a brick wall with some backfire. So as suggested I’m sure it’s electrical. I’ll start with sorting new plugs and take it from there.

Few oil leaks too unfortunately so probably some seals will need looking at main one is directly under the exhaust mid section so I’m guessing drive shaft ? 

Thanks for all your help 

Grant