Twin Carb Link

68vitesse

While sorting out a new accelerator cable, bike brake cable as suggested here, looked at the link between the carbs. According to Berlin Fuels a Triumph thing and not available so am trying this made up from bits of EBay.

First picture state of old links second what I ended up with.

P1010003.JPG.7755af54970f378a5a6904e584255530.JPG

P1010002.JPG

Regards

Paul

• Like 2

Hi Paul

Very neat solution. Can I ask why you needed to change please? I have a 67 vitesse and it''s developed an issue in that it's idle speed increases as I drive it. It' a bit alarming. I'm thinking the cables or linkages are catching on something or slipping? Hard to diagnose as intermittent. Carbs were refurbed for P.O. by good place just before I bought 3 years ago. Any thougts?

Thanks

Richard

Throttle was stiff and not returning to idle.

New throttle cable fitted and return springs on carbs, one on right of spindle when looking at inlet,were all gummed up but a clean sorted them out. I always make sure when bolting on the carbs there is a little bit of sideways play on the throttle spindles when they are locked together.

Had a problem once which seemed to be caused by the throttle spindles and connecting link expanding when hot and causing the butterfly valve to stick on carb body. Could be wrong but the link does not have any end play built in and a slight movement of the carbs when hot seemed to solve the problem.

As to why the new links see first picture, I would have used original if available and it kept me busy in retirement.

My car is a 68 Mk1 2L also have a 67 as a long term project that has a rod system for the throttle suppose the bean counters caused the change to cable.

Regards

Paul

• Thanks 1

Thanks. Plenty of food for thought there! Can you get the linkages out with the carbs still on the car - or do you take it all out to tweak these bits? Newbie question I know but easier to ask than do something unecessary. No mention in WSM. Thanks

Richard

knocking the pins out needs a good support and a idles that increase when driving is usually the outer   case of the throttle cable is expanding in the heat 

get some free play set in the abutment adjuster to gain some slack.

the pics on pauls shows the plastic couplings have broken where the spirol pin fits 

these were later replaced on production with a z shaped sprung steel clamp

the clamps need to opertate both spindles together , there is some lost motion which aids lightening the load when you pull the choke

and talking choke check there is a small gap between the choke cam and the  on choke fast idle  tappet screw

Pete

Paul's comment re rods on a '67 and cables on a '68 prompted me to have a look at the accelerator pedal on mine. It's a cable from which the pedal appears to pretty much hang & no spring in the pedal bracket. Think that'll be "upgrade" number 1. Cheap and simple to start off.

Richard

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, classiclife said:

£45 each - ouch !!

Hello All

How about these ? all sizes available

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-joint-Car-Boat-Motor-Transmission-Shaft-Coupling-Coupler/382529033435?hash=item591081d4db:m:mLsUl-k4gRSYgCsxPMBiEnA:rk:1:pf:0

For about £7 got to be worth a punt?

What size is the carb spindle? just order the nearest below and open up to suit and use the standard size for connecting rod!

Roger

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 16:19, 68vitesse said:

While sorting out a new accelerator cable, bike brake cable as suggested here, looked at the link between the carbs. According to Berlin Fuels a Triumph thing and not available so am trying this made up from bits of EBay.

First picture state of old links second what I ended up with.

P1010003.JPG.7755af54970f378a5a6904e584255530.JPG

P1010002.JPG

Regards

Paul

great idea and find. ive ordered some for my gt6 carb set up just incase. for info the larger fuel pipe dia. is 5/16" and smaller 9/32". on looking you would need to shorten the pipes on the carb but I don't know the length of the u/j`s. however I thought for a couple of quid good to have in my spares box.

small pic.JPG