GT6 mk 3 fuel filler drain & tank vent

Adrian Saunders

Thanks Doug. It does show a tube (627454) which must be it as the other tube, higher up, has a end (rubber) to suit the push-on fitting. But, my filler housing casting doesn’t have a fitting, there’s little more than a boss 3/8” OD and 1/4” ID. The ID is smooth die cast finish, no thread. If the drain hose is pushed over the boss, ok, I can do that, I guess it exits through the boot floor via a grommet. As for the breather, I don’t have a facility on the tank! Is it part of the sender? 

EA006364-1C2F-4E68-ACAF-2CFA91E39DE1.jpeg

Adrian,

Oh! We seem to have discovered a mistake on Canley Classics web site! Although the diagram says it's a Mk3 it's not, it's a Mk1/2. Mk3 has the fuel filler on the side and there is no breather off the tank. 

OK I'm going to have a look in my boot and see if I can figure it out.

Back in 10 minutes.

Doug

Adrian,

The tube coming out at right angles connects to a rubber pipe that goes under the tank to a vent hole in the floor. The fuel and air vent.

The other hole goes straight through the filler body and appears outside the circumference of the rubber fuel pipe seal. It's purpose must be to drain anything that gets into the fuel cap mechanism. There is no access to the fuel, unless some is spilt at fill up or the rubber seal leaks. So this would just be rain water.

There is no additional pipe on mine so it just vents into the boot space. There is a vent hole in that area and clearly the Mk1 & 2 fuel systems had a pipe going to it, but not the Mk3. It's probably a good idea to get a pipe on it and guide it to the vent hole, although I've never had any rust issues in that area.

Apologise for Canley's cock up, their diagrams are normally correct and informative.

Doug

Had to visit the facilities, always time consuming at my time of life.

And then the Royal Mail knocked on the door with my new M & S underwear. I'm a pair of socks short! Out of stock. So it's a refund.

How's your steering wheel Mark? :lol:

Doug

CC’s site does show a hose exiting through a grommet, it’s the same as the one for the wiper tube. I’ll get some 3/8” hose and send it through the boot floor, just to the rear of the inner arch, there’s a hole there. Does your vent exit close to the rear axle tunnel?