Heritage Oil

Paul H

Hello Paul.

Both companies call their oil Heritage, so to save confusion let us accept the club oil is by Pennine and the oil you are using is Classic Oils (CO), as per the photo.

There is a significant gap between these two oils as far as quality and engine protection is concerned; here are just a few differences:

Zinc level (ZDDP) - higher the number (max 1600), better the protection. It is the zinc in mineral / multigrade oils that protects hard wearing components such as tappets and cam lobes which really accounts for an oils suitability as far as engine longevity is concerned. I have included a photo of what low zinc content in an oil can do to tappets - the photo speaks for itself. The amount of zinc is measured in ppm:

Pennine 800 / CO 1300

Viscosity - this decreases as the oil gets hotter, therefore the higher the number (Viscosity Index) the "better in shape" the oil stays as the temperature rises - in essence the oil remains more stable and this also ensures the oil has and keeps a high shear factor. That means when you have driven your car with purpose and the oil is super hot you will not see your oil pressure gauge at or close to zero !!

Pennine 95 / CO 131

API Rating (American Petroleum Index) ideally classic cars of our era should have the oil rated either SG/SH/SJ/SL. Not all letters are used with the index and the higher the letter the better the care products within that oil. Ideally classics should not go above SL which was rated in 2004, nor go below SG.

Pennine = SG / CO = SL

Those are just a few of the differences between the 2x oils.

Additionally Pennine uses refined virgin base oil whereas CO uses proper refined crude base oils. Pennine suggest that their oil is changed every 2000/3000 miles compared to the Classics Oil at every 6000 miles. The base oil process that CO uses (along with Castrol and Duckhams to name a few etc) is far better and of course the upshot of that is the oil remains stable for longer ensuring greater and better lubrication properties. Oils do not just lubricate then cool as well, so the better base process will also ensure your oil cools for longer. 

I think it is important to say that there are no issues with Pennine oil at all. However there are far better oils out there and by using Classic Oils Heritage 20W/50 you are certainly using one of the very best in that class. In fact not even Castrol, Duckhams or even Penrite (!!) can match the CO Heritage oil.

At the end of the day, it is all about personal choice, if you potter about in your car and do no more than about 2K-3K then Pennine will be fine. If on the other hand you drive just that little bit harder and do more than 2.5K-3K miles then something more suitable is likely to be a better option. Viscosity Index, API and Zinc are important factors when deciding which choice to make.

I have no business connection with Classic Oils, but I am certainly happy to promote their field of excellence.

One of my other clubs, Southern Classics Society, supplies the CO Heritage Oil to its members and non-members extensively and that also includes a number of TSSC / CT members.

I use the identical oil you are using Paul in both of my classics, and have to say it is in a class of its own.

I hope the above assists ??

Regards.

Richard. 

WORN TAPPET FOLLOWER.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Colin - to save on delivery I recently purchased 

Classic Oils Heritage 20W/50
Volume-4 x 5 litre

£66.00

Shipping £9.00

Grand Total£75.00

Appreciate your postage might be higher - Delivery was by Fed Ex and came the next day 

Paul 

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

I think they must have had a trial run supplying Halfords 20/50. It looks like it, smells like it and tastes.............:wacko:

Doug

The halfords is made by comma, in fact I am pretty certain it is just a rebadged version of the comma classic. So not beyond the realms of possibility it is now available in a third guise. 

I have some of the halfords oil here, bought on a special when we had a Mini. I ought to try it out, the wifes spitfire is due an oil change....

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 2:40 PM, clive said:

Wouldn't touch it. They won't publish any spec/data just nice words about their product. 

I have contacted Duckhams by phone and email on several occasions. They have not replied to the emails requesting spec info and their "Tech Dept." too busy to take a call but will call back.

Still waiting to hear the pebble splash.

As Clive states, they do not want to answer any questions - it is a different Duckhams set-up these days compared to many decades ago.

Regards.

Richard.

Colin,

IIRC the zinc level in Comma Classic is 800 but cannot recall the API rating.

It's likely to fall in to the same bracket as Pennine with regard to viable use, but it will be a crude base oil which is the preferred option.

Regards.

Richard.

Colin,

Just checked, it is SE.

If they stock Comma X-FLOW TYPE SP 20W-50 that will be the better of the two as its zinc is 1100 with good viscosity and rated SL; only downside it is a 4Ltr unit.

Regards.

Richard.

Colin, I am certain that the comma classic will be fine for lightly used cars. I wouldn't use it for a car that gets lots of fast motorway driving, or a car that gets thrashed. But for 90% of people on here, it is adequate. Especially with an annual change.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

Morris Gold Film 20-50

It has a rating of SF on the API scale, so it is just outside the desired requirement.  No information is forthcoming / readily available about the Zinc content and as such with other oils not declaring the Zinc content that usually means 800ppm max.

Unusually and unlike a lot of oils in that bracket, the oil viscosity is very good and equal to Classic Oils Heritage 20W/50 - that bodes well. Personally, I like Morris products and compared to many other oils their product is head & shoulders above those. If their Zinc content was higher (1000+) it would be Division 1 rather than D2. 

Put all that in to the mix and it is an oil that is worth considering for normal road driving, being changed yearly or ideally at 4K miles.

Hope that assists ??

Regards.

Richard.

I got it wrong I'm using Penrite Classic 20w-50 API SG/CD, this is a full ZDDP oil with levels between 10000pp & 1600ppm

here's a small quote from the Penrite web site

How much ZINC do you need in engine oils?

There are many and varying opinions on what levels of Zinc are needed to be an effective anti-wearing agent in engine oils. Owners of vehicles that have flat tappet camshafts, veteran & vintage owners and traditionalists may argue that the higher the level the better especially in vehicles that do not have catalysts. This is not always the case.  As we saw above, ZDDP was increased in oils to combat the effects of lead scavengers not actually to increase the anti-wear protection.

In effect, an engine oil that contains about 1000ppm phosphorus (approx.1100-1200 PPM Zinc) or higher, will easily provide the required anti wearproperties for older engines. General Motors experimented in the mid 1950’s with lower phosphorus and zinc levels and found that 0.08 percent phosphorus level (approx.1000 PPM ZINC) eliminated many wear issues. In fact, they also experimented with oils containing 0.6 percent phosphorus on mixed fleets in the 1970’s and found no wear problems.

or follow this link scroll down to the zinc part         https://www.penriteoil.com.au/info/category/1/Engine-Oils/169/What-are-Oil-Additives