Rain

dave.vitesse

Wet and depressed from luton

Brittany wasnt much better 

But the roads lacked pot holes and traffic lights

Smooth and easy roundabouts everywhere

There again not many people either

5 mins back in the uk and bang crash whallop , traffic jams traffic lights every 50 yds  Grrrr !,,

Someones taking the tax and the pee

Grumpy and wet

Trouble with rain stopped play days is that you feel obliged to do something indoors. I've spent the day helping my Dad fit a new kitchen sink which he bought from a company that went bust 10 years ago - he's been finding excuses not to fit it ever since! Absolute pig of a job, with the new clamps / retaining clips a pathetic plastic imitation of the 20+ year old ones on the sink we removed. Not to mention seized stopcocks and imperial/metric waste pipe challenges. 

At this rate I'll be looking forward to tomorrow's egg hunt!

Gully

13 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

5 mins back in the uk and bang crash whallop , traffic jams traffic lights every 50 yds  Grrrr !,,

Grumpy and wet

You should have come here to Normandy, it never rains during the day, traffic lights are so rare they are a local attraction and everyone stops to look at them change colour, there are more roundabouts in fun fairs than on roads. ;) Brittany doesn't have local wine but does have whisky, we don't have either but have calvados :rolleyes: Oh, we have better cheese.

Clearly no rivalry between Bretons and Normans.

The lack of people is due to the fact they are either in a bar having an "apero" before lunch or having lunch.

13 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Grumpy and wet

Pete did you not find that most villages in France now have speed humps? Not like our awful ones but ones that are two meters across? They seemed to be everywhere when we went to France along with electric car charge points We are so so far behind in that respect

Aidan 

ah yes there were humps,  some enormous ones   but  designed with less impact  on the springs it seemed

Kerne  artisan  cidre  quite sweet fizzy  served in a cup  odd but pleasant enough

got fed up with blasted crepes  ,,  crepes everywhere crepe and more crepe

rain there is just as wet as here 

went plymouth to roscoff overnight   and the WC still sucks everthing out the cabin  hang on to your smalls . 

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

went plymouth to roscoff overnigh

That's quite a drive from Luton!  As you know I'm further north from you so we go from Southampton over to France must be a similar distance for you to Plymouth 

Aidan 

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

ah yes there were humps,  some enormous ones   but  designed with less impact  on the springs it seemed

Kerne  artisan  cidre  quite sweet fizzy  served in a cup  odd but pleasant enough

got fed up with blasted crepes  ,,  crepes everywhere crepe and more crepe

rain there is just as wet as here 

went plymouth to roscoff overnight   and the WC still sucks everthing out the cabin  hang on to your smalls . 

Pete

The speed bumps are called "plateaux" the reason they are so long is so that a school bus wheelbase fits on the top. The maximum slope up and down is subject to EU norms, although I know of a couple locally that clearly are steeper. They are cropping up everywhere to slow traffic down and have to be within a 50 kph zone AND have warning panels plus speed restriction of 30kph. I know this because I am on my village council and we are "buying" a couple. :wacko:

The Bretons do drink their cidre out of cups, why I don't know maybe because it dissolves glass :blink:. We Normans drink our calvados out of glasses, we are more civilised, or add it to coffee. OR, better still, have it as a "trou Normand" that is to say a shot between main courses during a meal to clear the palate.

As for crêpes everywhere, yes I agree. THEN they follow it with a galette - which is just a crêpe made with different flour and sweet fillings rather than savoury.

Mind you in defence of the Bretons, here it can be - tarte Normand or  tarte Tatin as dessert in lots of tourist places. (Apple tart)

I'm lucky the village bistro does great quality food 4 courses, coffee and 1/4 litre of wine or cidre for 13€50. I can't swear that it is traditional French every day as it is run by a Belgian and Danish couple.

Officially now a wet winter, had my garage extended and pit dug in 2000 pit has always been dry as a bone. Just spend an hour or so with a pump, wet and dry vacuum cleaner and sponge and bucket get about an inch of water out of it. Garage is pitch roof and single storey so can not have a lift, would never have noticed if I did not needed to change manifold gasket.

Regards

Paul

You need a sump pump ! They were readily available in Quebec and around 40 CAD  They were in most cellars around Montreal and automatically switched on with a float switch 

Unfortunately you don't seem to be able to get them here Grrrr 

Aidan 

I bought a 12-volt water pump which ran off a car battery, and it had to perform for up to an hour before the plastic liner grounded on the bottom again. The liner was an old plastic tub and was too short by about two feet, so I'd float myself backwards or forwards under the car to whatever bit needed attention. It would fill up again overnight and the entire process would require repeating every time it was needed.

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Bilge pump from a boat sounds aplan

Spot on Pete.  These are readily available from any (decent) chandlers and are not that expensive but obviously run off 12v; an automatic one will clearly cost more.Only thing you may have to watch is the height (depth of the pit) to which you want the pump to clear the water.  A simpler alternative is a manual bilge pump that still shifts a fair amount with little effort.

www.force4.co.uk/force-4-budget-manual-bilge-pump-fixed-handle

Raining AGAIN! :angry: I've got to get my clutch slave off and sorted and the flexible pipe on before I can get my tunnel on.  East Berks night tomorrow and the GT6 is gonna be there!

I like the vision of Colin in his  hmmmm   .......coracle

Coracles? Nope, can't make anything rude out of that.

db

All aboard the Skylark    ........ mayday mayday

Get pumping   you lot  

Nothing more efficient than a matelot with a bucket on a small boat that's leaking; and there's no such thing as an atheist in a similar situation when the weather gets really bad (not on a ferry) eg in the Greenland-Iceland Gap.

Dick (lamp swinging Peter H?)